Part 18

"We're not going no further... until we've had a breather." an Orc huffs and puffs after the hobbits and elleth are thrown to the floor. They are all very tired after another long day of running.

The leading Uruk snarls, before giving in. "Get a fire going!" he orders.

Pippin immediately crawls towards his friend. "Merry! Merry!"

Merry groans. "I think we might have made a mistake leaving the Shire, Pippin." he says, his cut stinging on his forehead.

A load groan catches their attention. They look towards the woods wide-eyed. "What's making that noise?"

"Trees... It's the trees." a voice whispers breathlessly, making them turn to Ithilae is surprise.

"You're awake!" Merry whispers as he crawls closer, followed by Pippin.

"Are you okay Lea?" Pippin questions innocently, making her perk a brow as her eyes crack open just slightly.

Her eyes are unfocused and she pauses for a moment too long for their liking, making them glance at each other worriedly. "My head is throbbing like I got trampled by an Olifaunt." she finally answers.

"Well they did hit you pretty hard." Pippin nods before quickly shielding her from sight when an Uruk passes them. He doesn't want her to receive another blow to the head. That cannot be healthy.

Another groan makes the hobbits startle. "Don't mind it... it is only the trees." the elleth tells them quietly. "You would not be happy... if someone tried to cut you down."

Merry perks up, nudging Pippin. "You remember the Old Forest, on the borders of Buckland? Folk used to say there was something in the water that made the trees grow tall...and come alive."

"Alive?" Pippin breathes.

"Trees that could whisper...talk to each other...even move." Merry finishes. "It's like that, isn't it?" he asks, turning to the elleth, only to see her eyes closed again.

Pippin looks down at her worriedly. "I don't think she's doing so well Merry." he states, his voice a bit shaky.

"No, she's not Pip." Merry agrees, his lips pulling into a thin line.

Before they can fuss over the elleth they befriended some more, the Uruks and Orcs start to stir. "I'm starving. We ain't had nothing but maggoty bread for three stinking days." an Uruk sneers.

"Yeah! Why can't we have some meat?!" an Orc with a nasally voice complains before eying their prisoners. "What about them? They're fresh." he wonders, licking his lips hungrily.

"They are not for eating." the leading Uruk-Hai states, causing a subordinate to pull the prisoners further from the hungry crowd.

"What about their legs? They don't need those." a different Orc says, making the hobbits glance towards their legs worriedly. "They look tasty."

The leader growls. "Get back, scum! The prisoners go to Saruman. Alive and unspoiled."

"Alive? Why alive? Do they give good sport?" the orc from before questions, drawing closer to the hobbits and the elleth.

"They have something. An Elvish weapon. The master wants it for the war." the Uruk states.

Pippin turns to Merry with wide eyes. "They think we have the Ring." he whispers.

"Ssh! As soon as they find out we don't, we're dead." Merry hushes him.

"But what do they want Lea for?" Pippin can't help but wonder, knowing they cannot believe that she has it.