Chapter Eight:

The field that Sangwoo chose to dispose the... Man in, might have been nicer if we weren't here for the absolute worst reason. I sat quietly on the dry grass as the wind passed by and lit my nerves on fire; more than they already were at least. It had to be approaching three A.M and our freshly dead victim was beginning to smell a little less than fresh now. I felt guilt scraping the inside of my ribcage and sawing down the bone with its teeth. Sangwoo stood before the corpse, blocking my view. He said that it was for my sake. "We'll have to set him on fire." Sangwoo replied quite bluntly. My eyes lingered on his shadowy form and I stared at him. Stared as hard as I could. "What?" He shifted his body to look at me as he spoke. "You act like you don't even give a fuck." I spat out irritably. He shut his eyes as if he was searching for solace from me. " (Y/n)... Of course I care. I just... This is how I deal with things like this...." He breathed, a kind of stress protruding in his demeanor. The fact that he might be stressed about this made me feel better. What the hell did he mean things like this?! Ha. It's not like they happen every goddamn day. 

                 "I'm sorry...." I gazed at the ground in realization that maybe he was acting this way because he didn't know how else to act. "You really do care?" I asked again. He nodded sincerely and grasped one of my hands as he kneeled at my level. I felt my face flush at his contact and it made me want to die. How on earth could I feel so fluttery at a time like this? Is it because I wanted to feel something other than.... Regret? "We're going to be okay Squish." He patted my head with a half comforting half melancholy smile. I stood up, stretching my limbs, and dusted my jeans off. Biting my fingernails, I approached the trunk of Sangwoo's car. The man was slumped over, neck twisted almost 360 in an unnatural positon and his arms tangled in his legs. He looked like a human pretzel and I felt sick. The puncture wound had ceased to bleed for hours now and yet the blood was drying at an unreasonably slow pace. I could spot something grey inside of him and I gagged, tears burning my eyes and falling down my chin. 

              "FUCK!" I wheezed with a screech as my body started to shake and sob again. Sangwoo pulled me into his chest, rocking us back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. I could die right here and be content with the knowledge that I deserved it. "I can't believe I stabbed him." My voice broke off. He shushed me. "If you hadn't of stabbed him, you wouldn't even be standing here right now! He was going to fucking kill you!" He reminded me. I didn't even remember the events of the ally clearly anymore. Where was Sangwoo before that man showed up? Everything is a mess and my memories are scattered. All I know is that Sangwoo told me I had stabbed him. I took a man's life. Once my face had dried I felt stiff and Sangwoo had released me. 

                    We sat in silence for a good bit before Sangwoo had stood up and dragged the man out of the car, and dumped his corpse far away from me. In my limited vision though, I spotted the man's stomach. His shirt had been shrugged upwards when he hit the grass. "Sangwoo, wait..." I called out as I pulled myself closer to them. There was a considerably large tattoo branded onto his gut. It was the image of two red snakes entwined in one another, cackling as it seemed. "What, its just a tattoo..." He responded as he studied the ink and then me. "No, no, no... I think that I've seen this before...." I glared at it. Almost in an uncomfortable daze. "It looks so damn familiar...." The blond male looked almost concerned for a second. "C'mon, back up." He warned me. I obeyed as Sangwoo doused the body in gasoline, before striking a match and lighting it on fire. It. He wasn't an it. That man was a human being. Probably with a mother who loved him. I tried to derail my thoughts as I watched the strange specimen burn. Sangwoo sat behind me, one leg on both my sides and slipped his arms around my waist as we watched it burn, and listened to the fire crackle and hiss.

                                     I wanted to talk more about what happened, I wanted Sangwoo to poison me by telling me every revolting little detail just so I could know rather or not my guilt is called for. I'm positive it is. I don't think I could handle that kind of conversation right now anyways. So instead of asking, I decided to not say anything at all.