Chapter Thirteen: Spiders and Flies

I've made the inevitable and cliché discovery that all people are different. There aren't just two or three or four kinds of people. Not even five, six or seven. With little regard for that fact I've decided that I can at least group them among common characteristics. We'll go with two groups.

Simple.

And complex. 

        I don't mean simple like stupid either. I just mean they aren't complicated. They have their shit together. This hospital doesn't have a simple individual in it. Sangwoo sat in one of the ugly, squeaky chairs beside me and handed me a blue ball point pen. "For the paper work." He spoke lowly. Little cracks in his tone. The kind of crackly voice you speak with in a library. I clicked the pen repeatedly as my eyes scanned over all of the printed text for Yoon Bum. I wish this was one of those moments where I could describe how I was feeling. I almost felt nothing, but at the same time the shadow of an anxious nature was looming behind me. I was running from worry. Kind of like with... With the body. I had grown numb to the thought of the murder. It seemed that everywhere I went though it followed me. I thought I'd feel worse after killing a man. I thought I'd be scared but I'm not scared. I don't understand it. Being good at emotional repression shouldn't count for the taking of somebody else's life.

      No, fuck, fuck, fuck..... Focus. Paper work.... Yoon Bum.... 

     Everything was running. A million things at once...  I thought my composure was well kept but I guess not because my partner in crime offered a concerned glance. "I didn't know you had any family here... Its weird I guess.... I don't actually know very much about you at all.... Funny. Considering what we've...." I gave him a look and he quit talking. I didn't even pass a disapproving look. I jut shifted my gaze, vacant of expression and he stopped. He didn't have too. "... Yeah... He's my cousin... He's wonderful... Fragile, but wonderful." My heart started racing. Wait a second... I brought Sangwoo with me...  I mean, its not a stolen object from his house but....Its him. That's even better. Would Yoon Bum be able to handle it? I didn't have time to ponder things like this.

     Suddenly a lady came clacking up to us in her weird nurse shoes. This nurse was different from last time. "Miss. (L/n.)...." She tried her best at a smile. "You know why we've called you, correct?" I shook my head. "I don't know too much. I just know that Yoon has been hurt.... Yoon..." I hummed his name out the second time in nostalgia. She slid her gaze side ways in what appeared to be thought, before sitting down in a chair in front of us. I felt his hand cover mine gently. Paying attention to my accomplice was difficult right now. "Well... It seems that you cousin has had a bit of an episode." She wasn't having trouble delivering the news. She delivered good and bad news all day. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference by her demeanor. That's so fucked. Understandable and fucked. All smiles and waves and bad news and good news and it doesn't matter to her at all. She's probably used to this. She could tell me that he's dead and give a polite smile and apology before sauntering off. He could be dead. 

      "He was alone in his room during recreational time. There were no weapons in his room. No sharp things. Not even a pencil. Security is very tight so that's why were alarmed and... Sad to tell you that...."

   He's dead?

   "That you're cousin tore the bandage off of his wrist and began ripping his stitches out. Nothing like this has.... Ever happened.... He tore the wires out of his skin and it reopened the wound. He began to bleed out." She was tapping her long nails on the arm rest of the chair. I hung my head, and Sangwoo wrapped his arm around my shoulders. "So, you're telling me that he's dead right....?" I asked in a muffled, hushed way. Her eyes widened. "No, no! He's very much alive."I rose. "He's alive and well... We just transferred him over to a medical facility and had him shipped back over here yesterday. They superglued his cut up instead of using stitches or staples and he's sitting in a padded cell... He talks about you a lot." The woman smiled in encouragement. "What does he say?" I asked. Her lips formed a tight line. "Things. He might need to have a talk with you when possible." My forming guilt was easily masked. I nodded, "Can... Can I see him now?" With a subtle shake of her head she answered my question. My eyes fell back down towards the paper work and my hands relaxed, letting the whole clip board slide an crash to the white tiles. 

                Nobody spoke and I stood up and began walking away. "Ma'am! MA'AM! YOU HAVE TO SIGN THE PAPERS!!" She heightened her voice into a yell. Sangwoo got up and started sprinting after me, turning around to apologize to the woman as he moved. He wasn't trying to drag me back in the waiting room. Instead he followed me all the way outside and we both sat in his truck. I felt him staring at me as I buckled my seat belt in and then I halted. "Stop looking at me. Its rude."

He looked forlorn but something twinkled in his eye. Amusement? Curiosity? I don't know...

A gentle rain tapped on the roof of the car, and Sangwoo sighed in disassociation. "(Y/n.)...." He began with a dangerous sweetness. His face cupped my cheek and in disbelief I didn't move.... The physical contact was nice... His voice was so deep... I was so exhausted. "I don't think you should have to be alone tonight... Not after everything you've gone through today..." He really had a way of making you want to lean against him with your eyes shut. He made you feel like the victim. Like you were the one who needed help. Yoon was more that person than I was though. "Want to stay the night at my house...? I'll give you the bed and, make you dinner... You can rest." I recoiled from his caring nature. "No, no... I want to go home." I insisted with a defeated exhale. "But... But honey..."

"Honey?" I questioned. I'm sure if I were in better spirits I'd laugh.

"Just... I feel bad, okay? Let me take care of you... Only for tonight?" His tone deepened nicely and I just wanted to sway and fall and fall and fall.... "No. Please just... Just take me home..." Despite his sad, caring eyes and his hand gripping my face... Something felt wrong. Maybe its just me. Maybe I'm just paranoid. I can't keep my guard up forever. Why the unwarranted kindness... I don't like it. Still... The idea of somebody making me dinner while I nap is... Inviting. I smiled at him, and offered my answer.