Chapter Eight: Tests

Sora clutched her egg to her chest, sighing as she swung her legs back and forth. Oz had already dragged the rest of her teammates, with their eggs in tow, off one by one to who knows where. She was the last, like she'd always been, always behind everyone else. Sighing, she shook her head. It was hardly like he'd ordered it so she was last, and even if it was – it'd probably be because she was late that very morning.

"Fancy seeing you here..." a far too familiar voice drawled, stormy grey eyes meeting her grass green ones as Tabitha stepped into the courtyard. "Your new team abandoned you already?"

Sora sneered. "I don't see yours around."

"So they have abandoned you..."

"Hardly! We're just in the middle of a test." She placed her egg on the bench, carefully propping it up before she stood. "An individual one, thank you very much."

"Of course—"

Sora stalked over to her. "I guess the rest of your team finally figured out how annoying you are."

"Pfft. If anyone's an annoyance, it'd be you."

"Say that again, I dare you," she hissed, grabbing her by the collar of her new shirt, yanking her head so it was level with her own. "It's like you're asking to eat dirt."

A hand landed on her head, Tabitha stumbling back as whoever it was behind her did something. She already had a good idea as to who it was – Oz was due to be popping by to test her at any moment.

Plus he did have a scary face.

Oz sighed, keeping a firm grip on her head as he spun her around to face him. "I leave you on your own, for fifteen minutes... and you get into trouble."

"I was just... talking."

"While looking like you were about to punch your little friend?"

"We're not friends!" They both snapped at the same time, glaring at each other yet again.

"Of course," Oz said. "Come on, Truant." He turned on his heel walking back the way he'd come, evidently expecting her to follow. "Some time today would be preferable."

"Coming," Sora muttered, trudging behind him, not before sending another glare Tabitha's way. "Let's just get this stupid test over and done with."

"It's not stupid, thank you very much, now pick up the pace."

"Sure thing," she grumbled, following him quietly as he walked through an entire maze of corridors and courtyards until they reached a small wooden door.

It led to a library, as she soon found out. The smell of paper and ink invaded her nostrils, bookshelves towering over her, all stained a dark oak colour. Red drapes adorned the windows, thick and heavy, much like the rugs dotting the dark wooden flooring. It was a large library, with high ceilings, and yet it still felt oddly stuffy and regal. Somehow she doubted she'd have been able to gain access if it weren't for Oz.

Something told her this place was off limits to young dragon riders.

It looked far too posh and orderly.

Either that, or nobody of her age group bothered going to the library.

Shrugging, she wandered in after her instructor, eyeing up all the various tomes. To her it was hardly surprising when her eyes locked on the little golden plaque engraved with the word 'history' nailed to the shelf. That had always been an interesting subject to her.

Her eyes narrowed, fingers running against the book spines at head height, pausing on one labelled: The Age of Dragon King Rhydian.

Now that was some interesting history.