Suns and Moons

Sora's breath caught in her throat, her eyes wide as she stared between the necromancer and Silver. How did he know? She had no idea. Silver's cloak wasn't visible—it still being in the coat form, like the rest of theirs—though that soon changed at his words.

A flare of silver light heralded the arrival of the Shenlong Cloak, lightning crackling around it as storm clouds darkened overhead. Grey eyes turned a dazzling shade of silver, glowing with power as Silver faced off against the grinning green-eyed fiend in front of them. Some part of Sora was relieved, her mouth falling open at Silver's transformation.

"Shenlong is granting her his powers temporarily... but it comes at a cost..." the Monster explained, frantic. "So hurry up and grab the fricking Granny and hightail it out of there! You do not want him getting his hands on Shenlong's powers!"

"Bring it, little storm dragon!" His eyes were wild, his hair dancing in the winds picking up around them. "You can deal with the other baby rider..." he murmured, his gaze darting over to yet another hooded figure. "Prove he can't save everyone... Not even with his new title..."

"Run, Sora!" Silver hissed, her voice deeper, an odd masculine tinge to it—no doubt from the power surging through her veins.

"You do care about us, after all..." She grinned, watching as a faint blush spread across the stubborn silverette's cheeks. "And that's why I'm not going anywhere, idiot. We're a team."

"Shut up, idiot! I'm only doing this because it'd suck to have to deal with the rest of our idiotic teammates on my own!"

"I'm OK, then?"

"Marginally," she grumbled, lightning arcing towards the necromancer from the clouds that seemed to have fallen under her control.

Sora was only grateful it wasn't coming from her injured hands.

She'd seen first-hand what her own magic did to her body... and she didn't want to think about how much damage the Shenlong's powers could do to her already damaged hands.

"Shenlong really does suit you..." he said, power radiating out into the air as green lightning crackled around his body like a mantle. "The storm dragon who protects them from up high... seems like another one's been born... and it seems like you're just as shy." His grin was cold. "But you won't be able to protect your precious team with that level of strength."

Silver spun, instantly knowing what he was on about. "Sora!"

Sora froze, feeling a rustle of wind behind her, her eyes wide as she turned on her heel. Light glinted off the sword falling towards her, time seeming to slow as she came to terms with her impending death. There was no way she could avoid it. She knew that in an instant.

Vaguely, she could hear Silver screaming at her to move, but it was too late.

There wasn't enough time.

So she did the only thing she could.

She turned and smiled at her silver-haired companion, closing her eyes as she saw the tears leaking down her face.

Silver was crying.

"OZ!"

Red lightning rent the air, as if answering the other girl's shout, a sudden burst of wind whipping her hair back over her shoulders as she covered her face with her arms. She blinked furiously, staring at the familiar dusty black coat that was now in front of her. The coat that belonged to the man who'd saved her.

Oz.

The hooded figure was a good few metres away, flat on his back, sword nowhere in sight as Oz turned to face the two of them. He walked past her, not saying a word, instead heading straight towards Silver and her crackling black cloak. His hand landed on her head, but rather than the punch Sora had been expecting him to give, it was a gentle pat.

"Dry your eyes, Granny," he said. "You look pathetic."

Silver's lip wobbled.

"You're finally here..." The necromancer grinned. "Shame... and here I was hoping to present you with one of their corpses as a welcoming present."

"Go to hell."

"This world already is," he said, green lightning crackling furiously around his arms and shoulders. It was a whole other level to what he'd used against Silver, and her suspicions were confirmed in an instant.

He'd been playing with them.

He could've killed them both in the blink of an eye... but he'd kept them alive.

They'd been bait.

For the man in front of them.

Red lightning sparked to life around Oz in answer, the sheer tension in the air making it hard for the two of them to breathe as the Shenlong Cloak finally faded back into its usual black coat form.

Silver fell to the ground, utterly spent, and she barely caught the taller girl in time.

She was unconscious. Again.

Sora gritted her teeth, trying to shelter the pair of them as she watched the collision of two great powers in front of her. Wind rushed past her, threatening to blow her backwards as Oz slammed his lightning clad fist into the necromancer.

He sailed back, slamming into the nearest building, grinning all the while as the sound of footsteps rang out atop the dusty ground.

Oz drew the blade at his waist, swinging it up just in time to clash with his next opponent's sword. They stayed that way, their blades locked together in a battle of strength... and then Oz spoke.

"Why do you follow him?" He stared at the man coldly. "You know what he wants, don't you?"

"Of course."

"Then why?!"

"Because what does the Moon become without its Sun, hero." He spat, his voice mocking as Oz froze opposite him.

His confusion only lasted a few seconds, his foot swinging up in a neat kick, sending the man flying back from the sheer force of the blow.

Oz was sprinting towards them only seconds later, tucking each of them under one arm as he turned to the skies. "RAN!" he yelled, sprinting towards the forest, not daring to look back at the mess he'd just made.

A roar answered his shout, a familiar red-scaled dragon coming into view, flying only inches above the trees as Oz leapt. A handy burst of magic lifted him and his two passengers up, his feet landing safely on the red-scaled dragon.

"Aww... and here I was hoping to wake him up... whilst adding you and Shenlong to my collection... Shame." The necromancer stared up at them, green eyes locking on Sora's as she glared down at him. "Guess I'll save that for next time..."

"Back to the city, Ran," Oz ordered, his eyes narrowed, his expression calculating. "As quick as you can."

Sora felt herself go limp at his words, the tension finally slipping from her body as she was slung across the warm red scales, her eyes closing at the dragon's words, a smile pulling at her lips.

"Of course, idiot."