Chapter Twelve: Planning is the Key to Success, Somewhat

"We'll aim for the third marker, here," Sora said, pointing at the black dot on the map spread out between them. "According to Oz, that one should be home to the Trial of Combat which we should be able to pass. Any questions?" she asked, looking around at the rest of her team.

They'd gathered there, in the Central Courtyard they'd come to know so well, early on the morning of their test, with strict orders from Oz to get their hands on some cloaks.

It was either that or they'd be subjected to a week-long training camp, as was customary for the team which failed.

Trials could only be passed once per test, so there was only one chance at each test station. One chance to get a hold of the cloaks and keep their instructor from unleashing hell on them.

The cloaks, according to Oz, weren't much to look at, but they were important – for the future of their team.

Embroidered with a rune for what specialisation they stood for, reaching just a little past their waist, they'd no doubt pull together the image of a team. Well, so long as they got their hands on a set. Sora wasn't sure they would. Not with the glares Silver was already giving Raelynn.

It didn't exactly spell out good intentions.

"We got coats for heading into the forest," Raelynn announced proudly. "I wasn't sure whether we'd all have something warm to wear." She bit her lip, feet shuffling as she held out the bundle of black fabric she'd brought with her. "So there."

"What kind of idiot wouldn't have a coat up here?" Silver snapped, glaring at her, for what Sora was sure to be the hundredth time that morning.

Raelynn bit her lip. "Just put it on." She held out a coat of the appropriate length. "I just wanted you guys to be warm. You don't have a problem with that, do you?"

Sora smiled toothily, placing a hand on Silver's shoulder. "Raelynn was just being nice, so there won't be any problems I hope."

"Get off, peasant." She shook her shoulders, stepping away from Sora, snatching the coat out of her teammate's arms. "It should suffice for this little expedition, not that I needed it or anything."

"Sora..." Eir waltzed closer, slinging an arm around her shoulders. "Have you been hanging around with our dear instructor?" she asked.

"Because that mildly threatening statement you just said sounded like it was him talking," Eisa finished off, shuddering slightly.

Sora blinked. "Huh?"

Eir patted her arm gingerly. "Um... Don't worry about it then," she said, turning back to her twin, whispering something which sounded oddly like, "It's started."

Green eyes narrowed, and Sora resisted the urge to sigh. They hadn't even entered the damn forest and she was already exhausted. Today was not going to be her day. She just knew it. "I guess we should make some last minute preparations then."

"Like what?" Callum's voice was small, cheeks bright red as Beatrice squeezed his hand.

"Eir... Eisa..." Sora tossed them the map. "You're in charge of navigation."

"Yay!" Eir grinned.

Beatrice glanced over at her. "What're you gonna be doing then?"

She shrugged. "Keeping the team together," she said, glancing over at Raelynn as the obnoxious blonde attempted to hug Silver.

Attempted.

Silver was oddly adept at dodging all her attempts, an exasperated expression appearing as Raelynn kept at it.