‣ scene 03 [not-so-bad boy]

Kiyotaka was only alone for about four minutes before he heard another bowl clatter onto his table and caught sight of someone slipping onto the bench across from him. Uninvited.

He tried not to look up. He could hear the guy chuckling at something.

"Can I help you?" he muttered in terse tone, indicating that he didn't actually want to help. He risked a glance at the man's expression, which was exactly the kind of self-satisfied smile he'd been expecting. The man whistled.

"Somebody's touchy. You're a lot nicer when you're drunk."

Kiyotaka choked on his noodles.

"That—" he dabbed at the corner of his mouth with a napkin. "That was you!"

The man patted his chest.

"The very same." He extended a hand. "Name's Mondo."

Kiyotaka stared at the hand. He had very short fingernails and calloused fingertips and big knuckles. After releasing a sigh, he took the hand with his own and gave it a shake.

"...Ishimaru."

"Nuh-uh," the near-stranger called Mondo scolded. "I don't think that's your given name."

Kiyotaka groaned. What did this guy want, his entire life history? A blood sample? His astrological sign?

"Fine. It's— my name is Kiyotaka. Kiyotaka Ishimaru. Happy?!"

Mondo laughed and did an elaborate little bow.

"Oowada," he added. "Mondo Oowada." He stroked his slightly stubbly chin for a moment as he thought. "...Think I'm gonna call ya Taka," he murmured. Kiyotaka glared at him.

"You will do no such thing! In case you've forgotten, I barely know you."

"Wow. Y'really are nicer when you're drunk. ...I think I know ya pretty well, even if you don't remember. You told me all about your shitty job and that coworker ya can't stand. Hell, I even know that you wanna adopt a cat 'cuz your apartment is lonely."

Kiyotaka turned red again.

"...I don't recall making that admission, and that's very sad and embarrassing of me. I'm sorry that you had to hear such a thing."

"Hey, cats are cute. ...Dogs are way better, but cats are still cute."

A long silence passed as Kiyotaka took a few bites of his udon. Mondo seemed to be waiting for his to cool. Or watching him eat. Maybe both? Either way, the broth was calming and fulfilling, and Kiyotaka felt his muscles relax. He sighed as he set down his utensils and faced Mondo properly.

"Th... Thank you," he said quietly. "I could have died if you hadn't taken such good care of me. I've seen you around quite a bit, but I haven't ever spoken to you... Not sober, anyway. ...I'm sorry for snapping at you earlier. I'm just... a bit stressed out. It seems that I have developed a tendency to lash out at those who least deserve it these days."

Mondo's smile turned warm and genuine.

"Nah, don't apologize. ...I see you around here plenty. Ya always look so damn serious." He laughed. "I think a cat might do ya some good."

"I'm inclined to agree, but I haven't got the time to take care of one."

"Yeah, ya probably don't. Not with your shit job."

"I-It's not a bad job!" Kiyotaka protested. "The pay is high, and the benefits package is excellent!"

"But ya hate it. It makes ya unhappy. And it leaves ya with no time to pursue a passion in life or make any friends. Call me unrealistic or whatever, but I think that's a waste of fuckin' time."

Kiyotaka frowned, returning his attention to his bowl.

"Hardly anybody likes going to work, Oowada-san. It's just something that must be done, and it won't do me any good to complain about it and leave only to find the same thing elsewhere."

"Ya don't have to call me that. Jus' Mondo is fine," Mondo insisted, "and anyway... Of course tons of people have no choice but to work shitty jobs. I'm not always crazy about mine. But those people find somethin' else to make 'em happy, like startin' a family or supportin' a hobby, and you don't have any of that."

Kiyotaka had no reply. Mostly because everything that Mondo said was true. He chose not to acknowledge the truth behind that statement, though, and instead changed the subject.

"...If you do not mind my asking, what is it that you have tattooed on your chest? It's the only thing I can recall of your appearance, but the image in my head is unclear."

Mondo's wolfish grin returned. Instead of just explaining it, he gripped the fabric of his shirt, by the neckline, and tugged it down until the tattoo (and his very firm pectoral) was exposed. It was some kind of vaguely circular emblem surrounded by off-shooting lines of Japanese script, with the English words "crazy diamonds" underneath.

"Think of it as a family crest," he boasted. "My big bro and I ran a biker gang for a while. We both left it in good hands when we decided to get proper jobs."

"That's... great." Kiyotaka was surprised that a former gang member would help out some drunk stranger. "Are the two of you close?"

"Yeah, yeah," Mondo said happily. "I mean, we still lived together until a couple of months ago, and he only moved about ten minutes away. Guy's my best friend."

Kiyotaka tried to suppress the jealousy he felt upon hearing that. Having a family that loved you, having siblings... It sounded really nice.

"I'm happy for you. I've... never had any siblings, and I wouldn't say I'm close to my parents. Or the rest of my family."

The two of them spent a strangely relaxed hour like that— telling the other a bit about themselves and chatting about whatever came to mind— as they ate their respective bowls of udon. Mondo had to do most of the talking because Kiyotaka was so tired, and he suggested working out together the next time they encountered one another at the gym. Kiyotaka gave him a vague answer. He didn't want to commit to anything.

By the time they were done, it was very dark outside, and Kiyotaka bade Mondo a sleepy farewell before making his way back to his own home.