‣ scene 07 [never mind]

"Kiyotaka...? Kiyotaka! We need you to focus! Don't embarrass us."

Kiyotaka's mother's voice was as harsh and unforgiving as it always was. Kiyotaka tried not to glare at her.

This time, at least, he hadn't been distracted by some embarrassing sexual fantasy (though he had had plenty of those while he'd slept, and another right after work). His distraction this time was much more tame, but still silly in a different kind of way. He had been imagining his dream job again.

There was no use thinking about such things, of course. He had to restore the family business, and he couldn't just start his whole life over because some insanely attractive trucker said he should. He had responsibilities and a duty to his parents to uphold.

...Right?

...Right.

"Sorry, mom. I just... want to impress her as much as I can."

His mother, Satsuki, gave an approving nod. Her cold expression didn't change. Like she approved of the idea, but not necessarily of him.

"As well you should. This one is the cream of the crop. Getting her attention... Well, it just might make your father and I forget all of your earlier failures."

Wow. Thanks, mom.

He chose to ignore her comment and straighten his tie. He didn't like wearing suits like this. They made him look almost exactly like his father. Takaaki was off conversing with the family head somewhere on the balcony, he was sure. The Neverminds (what kind of a name was that, anyway?) kept a lovely home. It dwarfed any other home that Kiyotaka had seen in person.

He was only able to study the decor for a moment before Satsuki thrust him into some side room. It was some kind of sitting room or foyer or something, with little else but a sofa and a table and an armchair. A blonde woman sat in the center of the sofa. She was studying an expensive-looking teacup, and not doing much of anything else. Waiting.

"Now is your best chance," Satsuki hissed. "Make good conversation. Don't mess this up."

"Right."

The girl looked up when she heard his voice, and heard him enter the room. Her eyes were a captivating shade of blue, and her hair glittered like fields of wheat. She was definitely pretty. It was shame that Kiyotaka wasn't attracted to women, really. The young lady stood and curtsied.

"I'm terribly sorry— I did not hear you enter. My name is Sonia Nevermind. You must be Kiyotaka." She giggled as she took in his features. "And I must say, you're far more handsome than your father said you would be!"

Kiyotaka frowned slightly, because that was both a compliment and an insult. Was his father running around town telling people that he had an ugly son, or what?

Thanks for the dazzling endorsement, dad.

"...Thank you? You're, uh... quite lovely yourself."

He sat down next to her, and they spent ten minutes forcing conversation. Satsuki poked her head in every once in a while to make sure that things were going well. Apparently, she couldn't sense the uncomfortable atmosphere.

Sonia suddenly slammed her teacup down.

"Would you like to see our garden, Kiyotaka?"

It wasn't a question. Kiyotaka could tell from her tone, and her smile was plastered on and kind of creepy as she asked. He glanced at his mother in the doorway, who gave an approving nod.

"S-Sure," he agreed. "I'm sure that the garden is beautiful!"

He stood, and instead of casually following Sonia's lead, she gripped his wrist and dragged him behind her like a dog on a leash. Down several corridors and a flight of stairs, then through two tall glass doors, and they found themselves in a lush garden with a fountain in the center and beautifully kept rose bushes everywhere. Sonia collapsed onto a wooden bench in front of the fountain.