‣ scene 29 [the big day]

CONTENT WARNING: there is a very brief allusion to mondo's backstory as established in chapter 22— specifically, to the sexual abuse. it is VERY brief and is in no way explicit, but better safe than sorry! i wouldn't want the line to catch someone off guard if they'd rather not think about that sort of thing right now.

————

"Are you sure it's okay?"

"For the six hundredth time, ya look great. C'mon."

Kiyotaka studied himself in the side mirror of Mondo's car and adjusted his tie once more. He wanted everything to look perfect. Even if he'd relaxed quite a bit, that aspect of his personality remained.

"It's likely that I'm only going to be a best man once," Kiyotaka argued. "It's not like I have any siblings. I have to look presentable!"

"I thought you were the maid of honor?"

"That's— Shut up!"

Kiyotaka gave his boyfriend a half-hearted shove and then took a moment to squint at him. Mondo Oowada looked like a different man in a suit. None of his tattoos were visible, and he'd removed his earrings. Getting his hair to imitate something even mildly formal had been a pain, but it was neatly combed back and away from his face and pulled into some kind of wavy ponytail.

"I hate this fuckin' thing," Mondo grumbled, pulling at the edge of one of his own sleeves when he noticed Kiyotaka's gaze there. Kiyotaka weakly punched him in the chest. "Woulja quit hittin' me?" He chuckled.

"You just hate wearing actual sleeves," Kiyotaka mocked. Mondo smirked at him.

"Well, yeah, but if you had guns like THESE—"

"If you flex I'm breaking up with you."

"You wouldn't dare."

Kiyotaka wasn't very good at pretending to find Mondo annoying anymore. He pressed into his side and planted a kiss on the underside of his jaw. It felt almost naked without the stubble he'd gotten so used to, but he had been the one to make Mondo shave for the occasion, so he couldn't complain.

They linked arms and made their way up the dirt path together. There was not yet any sort of sign that designated the place as a sanctuary. The owners still weren't sure what to call it. Kiyotaka could hear distant chatter (and what sounded like piano music) that told him he was headed in the right direction. Not that he needed the direction— being part of the bridal party meant that he'd been there for a lot of the planning and a brief rehearsal.

Before they could reach the venue proper, though, they heard the screeching of tires and another car rolled into the lot behind them, and a bit too quickly at that. The occupants spilled out and ran after them. It took Kiyotaka a moment to recognize two of them.

"Bro!" Daiya greeted his younger brother with a fist pound. "Promise I won't mess up your hair," he mumbled, likely thinking that only Mondo could hear him, and they both laughed. Daiya usually greeted Mondo by wrestling him under one arm and using the other hand to tousle his hair. It was likely just to remind him that he was still the taller one, and that he was still in charge.

Daiya had brought along his favorite employees. Kiyotaka had seen them a few times since first meeting them, but never like this. Ibuki's hair didn't have those odd horns and Leon wasn't wearing his piercings. They looked like different people that way. Ibuki, especially, looked like someone else, or like something was missing. Kiyotaka had apparently forgotten that she didn't actually have horns.

"Ibuki does know when and how to tone it down," she joked. Then she moved one shoulder, and it jostled the large item that she had strapped to her back. "But only when it comes to the clothes! Music doesn't take take instructions from anybody."