yikes!

They say it takes 21 days to form a new habit.

Wendy knew that wasn't true. Depending on the habit one is attempting to form, it can take anywhere from 21 days to 254 or maybe even longer. She figured it took about a week for Spider-Man's check-ins to become a habit. She started leaving her window ajar just enough for him to get in. He usually came in the afternoon, a little after school but before nightfall. The first two days, they just sat in silence, unsure what to do or say. The third day he came in while she was struggling to finish a sudoku puzzle and so they spent the next three days working on finishing her book of puzzles. On the sixth day, he brought her a churro and they people-watched from her fire escape.

On the seventh day, he found her crying at the foot of her bed.

"What's wrong?" he'd asked. He was by her side in an instant. Her laptop rested on her knees. The screen was bright, the light catching every tear that crawled down her cheeks. He followed her gaze to the glaring headline. It took a moment for him to understand.

*

FRAT BOYS ARRESTED BY THE SPIDER-MAN EXONERATED DUE TO LACK OF WITNESS

by Iris West

Erik Chambers, Matthew Kingston, Chase Graziano, Thomas Schuetz, and Nathan Wallis were arrested two weeks ago by the Spider-Man. His signature note claimed they harassed and attempted to rape a sixteen-year-old girl. Police took them in for questioning. The boys, all betas at Sigma Kappa Nu, were exceptionally compliant. They told police Spider-Man 'misread the situation' and they were just 'giving the girl directions.'

No details are known about the alleged victim. Without a statement from the victim, the police have virtually no choice but to clear the boys of all charges. It seems like Spidey's word isn't enough to put criminals behind bars anymore. More details to follow.

*

"They're gonna get away with it," Wendy whispered. She didn't have the strength to raise her voice. Deep down, she knew the police wouldn't do anything - couldn't do anything. When it comes to rape, blame is always placed on the victim. She clenched her fists. She hated being a victim.

"No, no, they won't," Spider-Man insisted. He seemed panicky. "No, I'll go down to the station and give a-a witness statement."

Wendy smiled through her tears. "Thank you, but it won't matter."

"You don't know that!" he shot back. She shushed him quickly. Her mom was working from home today. He jumped up and started pacing a hole in her floor. She watched him brainstorm and blubber. He was so naive for a superhero. He had to know not every bad guy gets put away. If that were the case, maybe the world wouldn't need superheroes.

She sighed and laid her head back against the mattress. "I think I'd like to be alone now." He froze. Slowly, he turned to face her. She lifted her head to meet his gaze. They were silent for a moment. The only sounds were the whirring of Wendy's computer and the city ambiance seeping in through the cracked open window.

She expected him to push her, ask her more questions, refuse to leave her. Instead, he shook his head and headed for the window. Before he left, he said, "I'll fix this." He sounded close to tears. He opened the window just enough to get through, slipped out, and then he was gone. She closed and locked the window behind him. She picked her laptop off the floor and flopped down on her bed.

A knock sounded at her door. "Wendy? You okay in there?"

"I'm fine, Mom," she lied, plugging in her headphones. She clamped them over her ears and opened her project. It was a track she composed all by herself. She played it on a loop while she sobbed into her pillow.

*

"The patriarchy strikes again!"

Wendy wished Margot would shut up. She loved her friend, but goddamn, she did not want to think about those frat boys and that night and their hands on her. She wanted to pretend it was all just a weirdly vivid nightmare. She wanted to leave it behind.

Unfortunately, her entire friend group was composed of passionate feminists and Margot was the loudest of them all.

"The police never take rape seriously!" Margot crowed, slamming her fist on the table. "It needs to end!"

Angie made a face. "Honestly, I don't think it's their fault this time. It was attempted, and they didn't have a victim or witness to interview." Angie's parents were both cops and so she tended to stand up for the police force. She wasn't hesitant to admit when they were in the wrong, however, and she'd readily joined Erin's initiative to end police violence.

Wendy managed a grin. All of her friends were such good eggs.

"It's still messed up," Michelle spoke up, dipping a french fry in honey mustard. "I mean, Spider-Man doesn't just arrest people for no reason."

Angie nodded reluctantly. "Yeah, I know, but Spider-Man isn't the system."

"I bet he's black," Erin said suddenly. They all looked at her. She shrugged. "Spider-Man. I bet he's a cute black boy with a tight ass."

Margot shook her head. "Nah, he's white. In some of the videos I've watched where you can hear his voice a little, he sounds white."

"He's definitely white," Wendy added absent-mindedly. It took her a moment to realize they were waiting for her to elaborate, to give evidence. She froze. She wanted to keep Spidey to herself. She didn't want to share him. If she kept it secret, maybe she could pretend he was her own personal superhero.

Besides, they would ask how she met him, and she couldn't answer that.

Wendy pulled a lie out of her ass. "He gave me directions the night of the party. I didn't tell you guys?"

"No you didn't, you little whore," Erin snapped playfully. They giggled.

"So you won the bet with Peter?" Angie asked, stabbing her fork into her salad.

Wendy paused and thought about Spider-Man's arms wrapped around her body, holding her close, keeping her safe. His voice, desperate and strained, as he struggled to find a way to fix this fucking disaster Wendy called her life. She thought about her new routine of cracking her bedroom window as soon as she got home. She thought about running her finger over his lips, discovering the shape of his face.

She nodded. "Yeah, I guess so."

*

so...

yikes

but also ?? soft babies whomst i love and adore ??