homecoming!

Wendy stepped into the gym and instantly wished she could go home.

It was decorated beautifully. The homecoming committee had truly gone all out.  Large stars hung from the rafters. Multicolored lights swept over the room. String lights covered the walls. A DJ was set up on a makeshift stage in the back of the room, the music booming through giant speakers. Everyone was dressed nicely. Chaperones milled about to keep things in check, completely missing the sneaky exchanges of flasks. It was picturesque, in a way. Like a scene right out of John Hughes movie.

Wendy used to dream about scenes like this, but they didn't feel right anymore. Instead of seeing a wholesome school dance, she saw a potential new crime scene. Kids were drinking and they were only limited by the amount they'd brought. That meant people were gonna get drunk. Wendy didn't like drunk people. She never really did - drunk family and friends were one thing, but drunk strangers had always left a bad taste in her mouth. When she saw drunk teenagers, she used to think about drunk driving statistics.

Now she was sorting based on whether or not she thought they were capable of hurting someone.

She gritted her teeth. This was the exact kind of shit she needed to talk through with a therapist, but who knows how long it would take for her to find one? How long would these thoughts sit in her head, poison her brain and corrupt her actions? Erin dropped a hand down onto her shoulder and guided her gently to a table where they could put their stuff down. Once they were settled in, Ned, MJ, Angie, and Erin headed to the dance floor, leaving behind Margot and Wendy.

"You're not gonna dance?" Wendy asked.

Margot poked her arm. "You're not gonna dance?"

The blonde chuckled softly and shook her head. "Not in the mood." They lapsed into momentary silence. Margot sipped from a cup of punch she'd grabbed on the way in. Wendy tried to focus on the lyrics of the song playing. It sounded vaguely familiar, but she couldn't place it. Whatever it was, it was nice.

"When was the last time you danced for fun?" Margot inquired, squinting at her tiny friend from behind thick frames. Wendy opened her mouth to answer only to realize she didn't know. The last time she'd danced was the pep rally, but that wasn't for fun. That was for revenge.

Instead, she questioned, "What song is this?"

"Up and Up by Lennon and Maisy," Margot answered. She extended a hand. "Dance with me?" Wendy grinned and took Margot's hand. They found their other friends on the dance floor. At first, Wendy just bopped. She wasn't sure what to do with her body. She hadn't been in control of it ever since that night. She was always following something - panic, lust, a set routine. She cracked her neck and rolled her shoulders. The song changed to something she knew she knew - Breathe In Breathe Out by Mat Kearney.

She sighed. No more following.

She let the music take hold. She'd done a routine to this song in freshman year. She tried not to fall into that routine. She made it up on the spot. She was being extra, she knew. Everyone else was headbanging at most and here she was, pirouetting in the middle of the dance floor. She'd traded her heels for socks back at the table and she was thankful now as she danced on her tiptoes just like she'd learned.

Her peers made a space for her as she whirled and twisted across the gym floor. The moves came naturally now. The dance for Sue Me had been bitter and angry. This was honest. It reminded Wendy of how she'd gotten where she was. Since she was a little girl, she was fascinated by how the brain worked. She could still vividly recall the day her 3rd-grade music teacher told them about how music affects their brain chemistry. That was the start of all of it.

No, Peggy was. Peggy, who told stories about the scientific discoveries she'd seen, who was the first adult to be open and honest about their emotions in front of her. Aunt Peggy was the start of everything. Not Mr. Hanford. Not stupid Peter Parker or that stupid talent show or that bet. Everything she was was because of her Aunt Peggy.

The song drew to a close and she stumbled, nearly falling to the floor. Everything was because of Peggy. Peggy, who was dead. She was dead and she wasn't coming back. Wendy would never get to tell her about Peter Parker, about coming to terms with her feelings, about furthering her research, about all the cool things she'd learned in school, about realizing that she'd known the entire fucking time that Peter was Spider-Man. 

She'd known since he opened his mouth that night - dumbass didn't even bother to disguise his voice. She'd known and she'd lied to herself because Spider-Man, she could like and grow to love. Peter was her archnemesis. That couldn't change, not after she'd already been through so much change. She'd already lost her Aunt Peggy, she couldn't lose anyone else and dating Peter ran the risk of losing Peter. Spider-Man, she'd told herself, she could lose.

Except she couldn't.

Wendy's friends were surrounding her and talking, but none of it went through. They were sitting at the table now. When did that happen? Angie was shoving a cup of punch into her hand. Wendy took it and downed the drink. Her ears popped. She realized she was crying. She shook her head, set down her cup, and took a deep breath.

She lost Peggy forever. There was no getting her back. But she could get Peter back. Peter wasn't gone forever. She didn't have to lose him too.

She looked to the dance floor and immediately spotted Peter and Liz. Liz was wearing red. She looked amazing. Wendy's eye twitched. Peter wore the traditional suit and tie, a white flower clipped to his lapel. She could tell he gelled his hair down. She could just imagine running her fingers through it, messing it up while he grumbled under his breath and fought to keep the corners of his lips turned down. He looked beautiful. Wendy's heart fluttered. Huh. She didn't know her heart could do that. 

Her gaze met Peter's. They stared at each other for a little while. His gaze flickered back to Liz, who - holy shit, Liz was leaning in for a kiss! He turned and ran out of the gym. Liz's jaw dropped and her brow furrowed. Wendy jumped up from her seat, still a little wobbly, and hurried over to Liz, ignoring her friends' calls.

Liz scowled. "Wow, Wen. You were right. Peter Parker is an asshole. I really thought-"

"No, he's not," Wendy cut in. "I was wrong, Liz, the entire time. The truth is, I was never dating Spider-Man. I lied. I was dating Peter and I used Spider-Man as a cover and we broke up and that's why he ran because we still have feelings for each other." Liz was silent for a moment. She looked deep into Wendy's eyes as if she was searching the night sky for a particular constellation. They didn't even notice Ned leaving.

The dark-skinned girl's lips curled into a soft smile. "Then what are you waiting for? Go get the guy."

Wendy beamed and, after a quick hug, swept out of the gym with a goal in mind.

*

we are so close !!! to the end !!!