Chapter 9

Calysta

On Saturday night, I feel wiped out from the day at the amusement park. It takes every ounce of my energy to get me out of bed in the middle of the night just for a glass of water when I know the rest of my family is sound asleep. And it takes even more energy to climb back up the two flights of stairs to reach my room but when I do, I stop cold. There's a dark figure looming next to the light coming through the glass window.

My body freezes but my heart picks up pace, beating so loud that I can hear it. I try to make out the shapes in the dark. Am I seeing things? I wonder until the figure moves toward me and I let out a small yelp but a hand covers my mouth. I stumble back in the attempt to get away but the figure pulls me closer before I can lose my footing.

"It's me," he whispers. "Asa."

He uncovers my mouth and I let out a shaky breath before collapsing against him. He holds onto me so I don't fall to the ground and his clean soapy smell fills my nose as I take a deep breath in an attempt to calm myself down.

"You freaking scared the shit out of me," I whisper fiercely and he lets out a low chuckle. "It's not funny. I would have screamed and woken up the whole house."

"Aren't you glad I covered your mouth?" his cocky response makes me see that he's still holding onto me and I quickly step away.

"I'd be glad if you didn't scare me shitless in the middle of the night," I shoot back and take one last deep breath. "What're you doing here?"

"I can't sleep on the couch," he answers, running a hand through his hair as I flop onto my mattress. "It's really uncomfortable."

"It's just for one night," I tell him. "Cece is leaving in the morning. Then Lennon and Yuna will go back to their room and you can have your bed back."

"What's Trixie's deal anyway?" He plops down next to me and I'm suddenly glad that it's dark so he can't see my cheeks burn. "Why does she need the whole room for a sleepover? Yuna and Lennon could have shared a bed or-"

I know what he's going to say next so I stop him. "We don't have an extra mattress or sleeping bag. And they are sharing a bed – your bed."