Chapter 25

Asa

I hear feet shuffling as the men rush out of the house. My eyes are blurred with tears as I drop to my feet and cradle Calysta in my arms. I press my hand against her chest but the blood flows out, covering my hands and the floor in red. Her white shirt isn't white anymore.

"Look at me," I beg her, pressing her chest even harder. "Don't close your eyes. Callie, please. Don't close your eyes."

A tear runs down the side of her face and mixes with the blood on the floor as I dig into my jeans with one hand and pull out my phone. I dial 911, tell them our location and the situation with a shaky voice, on the verge of hysteria and cut the call. I drop my phone onto the floor and look into her eyes. Her eyes are still wide with fear, shock and pain but I can see the life draining out of her. I know that I'm losing her because I can see it in her distant gaze. It sends me off the cliff I've brought us to.

"Callie, please," I beg, pressing against the wound harder.

I press my throbbing forehead. There's blood everywhere. My jeans, my t-shirt, my shoes and my skin are all painted red and I don't know what else to do but cry. The pain in my chest escalates as the tears stream down my face.

I touch her face, the blood tainting her fair skin and I unsuccessfully try to wipe it away. I try to keep my eyes on hers but the warm blood is flowing out of her chest too fast and I know that I'll lose her if the ambulance doesn't come fast.

"Don't leave me," I lower my head and press my lips to her forehead. "I'm sorry. Callie. I'm sorry. Please don't-" I choke. "-just keep breathing, okay?"

I heard the wailing of the ambulance in the background and if the situation was different, I would have ran out and screamed for them to drive faster. I would have waved them down. But I keep my hands pressed against her to stop the bleeding and I press my lips to her as her eyelids start to flutter.

"No-no-no," I chant. "No. Don't you dare give up on me, Cal. Please. I can't lose you. I can't do this without you."

I'm now crying hysterically. I know she doesn't understand a word I'm saying but I'm not quite sure she even heard a thing since her body hit the ground. Her arm falls limply to the side and I scream her name over again over again.

"I love you, Callie. Please don't leave me. I love you."

The paramedics burst into the house, peel me off her, press an absorbent looking cloth against her chest and lift her limp body onto the stretcher. I'm crying so hard that I can't even see much of what's in front of me but I hear the wheels of the stretcher as they push her outside. I follow behind, getting glimpses of people gathering to watch as they side her into the ambulance. One of them give me a little push as if to hoist me into the back and I get in. The doors shut, making a loud noise and I jump.

They've put an oxygen mask over her face, they're trying to stop the bleeding and they're shining a light in her eyes as if to see for any sign of life. One of them start asking me questions but I'm too terrified to answer. I keep telling them that I don't know and I know that it isn't helping them in any way. So I swipe at my tears, I clear my throat and I try to tell them what happened. By then we've reached the hospital and they're wheeling her inside. I rush after them until suddenly someone pulls me back.

"You can't go inside there, kid," a nurse tells me and I look up to see that they've taken her into the operation room. "Stay here. Call her guardian."

Then he walks into the operation room, it closes behind him and I collapse onto the floor. I'm covered in blood that isn't even mine and I feel like I'm dying. If I lose her, I know I'll lose my will to live. I know it sounds dramatic but I wouldn't be able to live with myself knowing that the only girl I've ever loved died because of me.