4. Heat Rising

We danced like this for a good while, and would have longer if it hadn't been for the pink haired girl from last week.

I noticed her with a small group of people, moving her head and looking around desperately. Her eyes were panning the scenery, starting at the pool. I'd be screwed if she saw me!

"That was fun. Too bad I gotta go!" I spun 180 degrees and was about to jog away when Pink-Streaks caught me by the sleeve.

"Wait," she said, with worry creased in her face. "You never told me your name."

"It's Tanner. Tanner Greene," I replied.

She smiled and let go. "I'm Darcy."

I smiled back. I felt another pair of eyes. My vision shifted to behind Darcy's shoulder, and my eyes met Pink Hair's. Her look changed from wonder to anger, like a bridge collapsing. The moment broke.

"Look," I said impatiently. "I'll see you around, Darcy." I turned and walked away.

"See ya!" I heard her cheerful voice. And to be honest, I felt a little bad leaving her behind.

I heard heels tapping the smooth cement, and I knew I was being followed. I put my hands in the front pockets of my slacks and tried to lose myself within the crowds of people.

I eventually made my way into the house, which was even more crowded. The couch strained under the weight of multiple people sitting on each others laps. Couples kissed in corners of the room, and guys and girls walked with red cups filled to the brim, that I'm surprised they didn't overflow and spill. Groups hung out in the middle of the room, while others danced in whatever space was available.

It was perfect, Pink Hair would never find me here. I grinned victoriously as I looked back, and felt an impact on my shoulder followed by a gasp. I turned my head and was face to face with none other than-

"Anne May!" I shouted over the booming music. "Are you ok?" I backed away, face turning red. I couldn't believe I'd been inches from her beautiful face.

"Tanner! I uh, I'm sorry. I should have payed attention to where I was going," she laughed nervously as she rubbed her arm.

"No I'm sorry. I wasn't looking in front of me," I apologized. I looked down from her face. She was wearing a jean jacket over a short black dress with electric blue flower prints. It was tight around the waist and flowed wider at the bottom.

"You- You look stunning," I marveled.

"Thank you," she smiled shyly. "You don't look so bad yourself." I felt her eyes trace down my body, and at that moment I wished it was more than just her eyes.

She caught me staring, and she blushed lightly.

"It's really loud here, isn't it?" She raised her soft voice over the music.

"Yes it is. Maybe we should go..."

"Somewhere else?" She prompted.

"Yes," I nodded. My heart palpitated faster. Where would we go? What would happen?

"I know somewhere more peaceful. Follow me," she held out her hand, and I gracefully took it.

She led me through the mass of teens and up the stairs, past more couples. We had to walk one-in-front-of-the-other due to the narrow hall with others who preferred lower volume. I couldn't see Anne May's face, and I desperately wanted to know where she was taking me.

As we passed by, I glimpsed a giggling couple open a door in the hall, go in, and close it. We walked further down, until we were at the end of the corridor and away from everyone else. It was definitely more quiet here, though you could still feel the vibrations of the speakers downstairs.

We stopped. Anne May turned around. She had a determined look on her face. Still holding my left hand, she took hold of my right one as well. I could feel them shaking, just a little bit.

"I want to- no. I must know something," she said, looking down to the side.

"What is it?" I inquired.

She raised her sparkling eyes and peered into mine.

"Tanner. Every time I see you, I get butterflies. Every time I hear your voice, I get light-headed. I feel like... I could faint, just by having you near me. I need to know if... you feel the same way."

I stood there- awestruck. If this was a dream, I didn't want to wake up. Only in a world so perfect would Anne May say all of that. To me.

I finally regained my voice. "Are you kidding me? I feel like I could pass out right here and now, after all you just said," I confessed.

I looked down into her twinkling eyes as she smiled up at me. We held this gaze for a couple of seconds until Anne May's eyes widened. Something hard hit the back of my head. Suddenly, all I saw were stars, two shocked Anne Mays, and the floor rising up beneath me.