8. Bright Eyes

Someone nudged me. I awoke to a blinding white light. I squeezed my eyes shut and groaned.

"Doctor, the subject is awake." A young man's voice reported.

A low sigh echoed through the room.

"At last," a hoarse voice replied.

I heard squeaky wheels come closer and closer. Then, I heard the loud snap of latex.

I let out a scream as my eyelids were peeled back. The violent light assaulted my eyes once again.

"Pupils are rapidly constricting," the rough voice pointed out.

"Got it sir," the younger man's voice was close by but farther than the older one. I heard him scribble on a notepad.

I writhed in pain. Something was holding me down, though I couldn't tell what.

"Come on now," the old one mumbled.

The pain from my eyes reached my head. My temples felt as if they were getting drilled into. I gritted my teeth and struggled against the... straps holding me down.

Gradually, the orb of light diminished until it was just a small circle hovering a few feet above my face. My peripheral vision finally cleared up.

I could make out two figures on my left. A man with broad shoulders was sitting down next to the surface I was on. A thinner one was standing straight behind the first one.

I tilted my head, and noticed both men were wearing lab coats. What the fuck?!

The older man finally released my eyelids and removed his gloves. It looked as if he was floating away in a sitting position, until I realized that he was sitting in a wheelchair. He was balding, and both men had glasses.

I felt the same rising panic I had felt before in the room with Darcy. Wait... wasn't that a dream? Or did it really happen... How do I know I'm not dreaming right now? Either way, I have to be brave.

"Where am I?" my voice betrayed me.

"Alas, he speaks!" The man in the wheelchair turned his chair back around to face me.

"You're home, Tanner Greene."

Home..? I tried to get up but forgot about the straps holding me down. I moved my head instead and took a look around the room.

The walls, floor, and ceiling were gleaming white. The room was vast and spacious. Tables and cupboards lined the walls, along with a few sinks. On the tables were beakers, microscopes, papers, and all sorts of scientific stuff.

Next to me was a table with suspicious looking tools. I peered down to discover  that I was laying on a metal bed, if you could even call it a bed. It was more like a flat surface, since there was no mattress, pillow, or anything to make it comfortable.

"This isn't my home," I retorted.

The man in the wheelchair looked back sympathetically at the one standing up. He then turned around and stretched out his hand.

"Allow me to introduce myself. I'm Doctor Davenport. Over here is my assistant Michael." He kept his hand outstretched, looked down, and turned his gaze back up.

He chuckled. "Ah forgive me, I forgot you were strapped down."

I began to get annoyed. "Why the hell am I strapped down anyway?"

"You're a feisty one aren't you?"

I glared at him. "Mind explaining what's going on and how you know my name?"

His eyes bored deep into mine, as if trying to uncover something far below the surface.

"Tanner, you're here for a special reason." He held the gaze without blinking. "You're not human."