20. Surrender

"How the fu-" I was interrupted by a slap on my shoulder. "Ouch!"

"Language!" Amaya warned sternly.

"Sorry," I muttered. I guess she was still my mom.

The red lights exposed Doctor Davenport and his wheelchair. But the weird thing was... There was a body on the wheelchair, and it wasn't the old man's. He was standing behind the wheelchair. 

I couldn't see who it was for some reason. The lighting wasn't much help. Nor were the dots that were slowly fading from my vision after almost passing out in pain.

Doctor Davenport turned to his left, opening a door we hadn't noticed. He walked very slowly. I think he really needed that wheelchair.

The body- Darcy?- wasn't doing anything. She was limp.

We watched in mortification as the old man pushed the chair through the doorway... and down a secret passage of stairs.

Shit!

We shrieked and sprinted towards the Doctor, unsure whether to push him down as well or run down to save Darcy.

We didn't have to decide because a beaker crashed on Doctor Davenport's head. He barely uttered a word as he tumbled down the stairs. If the glass didn't kill him, the fall definitely did.

I looked at Anne May, who looked at me, then at my mom, who looked at Anne May. Who did it?

"I really saved your asses this time, didn't I?" a chirpy female voice panted.

"Darcy!" I yelled out loud. I ran and hugged her, glad to see that she was actually alive.

"Ha ha, enough with the mushy stuff," she laughed.

I let go. "But how..?" I wondered.

"That old man's as blind as a bat," Darcy explained. "If you didn't notice, he wasn't wearing his glasses. I snuck away and replaced myself with a sack of random science equipment I found. The fool actually fell for it!" She cackled.

At first, I couldn't bring myself to laugh at her twisted humor. However, her laughter was contagious. That mixed with my memories of how cruel Doctor Davenport had been to experiment on the three of us, and how he had shamelessly killed Michael in front of my very eyes.

I chuckled to myself, and soon all of us were laughing of relief. Maybe it'd finally be over.

We began to walk away, laughing and smiling. Every step we took brought us closer to freedom. Soon we'd be seeing more than a few seconds of daylight. I could already feel the warm rays of sunshine against my skin. I was walking into a warm atmosphere.

I pondered how I could legitimately feel warmth when the ventilation in the laboratory was like ice.

Anne May and my mother stopped walking and held me back. I opened my eyes.

A squad of Captors stood outside the doorway, rifles pointed at us.

Darcy stood in front of us and raised her hand up.

"My fellow captors," she looked at them. "Put down your weapons. Look behind me, Ruben is out. That vivacious Doctor Davenport is dead. He'll torment you no longer. Your days of service to him are over. You may leave, if you want. Those who wish to stay, know that I take position to be your Vice Captor once again."

"Where is Doctor Davenport?" One of the Captors stepped in front of the crowd. "And how dare you presume a brilliant man like him to be dead?"

"Follow me if you do doubt it," she said cooly.