13. News

Anne May and I knew there were cameras. Of course that insane scientist would put them in the showers. After we did the act, Anne May and I grabbed our towels, dried off, and put on our new napkin dresses.

She smiled at me as she finished drying her wet brown hair. I smiled back.

We picked up our stuff and walked together toward the exit. I pressed the grey square, and the doors slid open.

Michael stood outside. He smiled. "How were your showers? Did you find it fit to your liking?"

Anne May and I nodded.

"Good," he replied. "Doctor Davenport wanted me to inform you two that you will now be sharing a room."

Anne May and I both looked at each other in content.

Michael walked us though a different hall, opened a door on the left and showed us in. Then he left.

This room was more spacious than the ones we had before. There was only one bed, but it was king size. A trash can was placed in the corner of the room.

I realized that there were two doors. One was the entrance to hall. I went up to the second door, which was on the left (adjacent to the exit) and found another grey square. I pressed it and one panel opened. I entered into what looked like a bathroom. We now had a shower and bathtub (though not so fancy as the ones in the shower room) plus a toilet and sink.

There was also a small rectangle on the wall- a light switch. On the right of the small rectangle were two squares. After pressing them, I discovered that one closed and opened the door, while the other turned a red light on and off on the other side of the door. I suppose it was to let the other person know it was occupied (since the door had no locks).

I went back out and sat on the bed with Anne May. She sighed and laid back. I laid back as well. The mattress wasn't as springy and uncomfortable as the one from my old room.

"I wonder what time it is," she pondered as she looked at the grey ceiling, hands held under her head.

"I stopped wondering a long time ago," I admitted.

We stared at the empty ceiling together. I mean, what else were we supposed to say after doing that? I'd had sex before.. just not with her. Even if we never got taken, I still would have wanted to do it with her. I would have wanted to take things slow. Somehow, I felt like Doctor Davenport had stolen a precious moment away from us.

"Hey..." she whispered gently. Her hand found mine. She held it. "Don't worry, everything will be fine."

"How can you be so sure?" I gulped.

She turned to her side so she could face me. With both hands, she held my right hand. "I just know." Anne May gave me a warm smile.

I tried to smile back. She snuggled up close to me, putting her chin above my head. "Don't be scared," she said in a soothing voice as she hugged me close to her chest. "That's exactly what he wants. We've got to show him we have nothing to hide."

I held my breath. I didn't want to be a coward, I didn't want to fall under Doctor Davenport's crazy experiment. He wants to control us, but we have another plan. We'll control him. He won't even suspect it, as long as I cooperate and play my part.

I wrapped my arms around her slim waist and tucked my head closer to her chest; I could hear her heart beat nice and slow. Hearing hers, I was able to calm down, too.

"Thank you," I whispered.

"Of course," she replied. "We're a team now, don't you forget that."

———

The main doors slid open, and Michael appeared.

"A week has passed. Doctor Davenport would like to see you both," he announced.

Anne May and I followed him through the maze of hallways without looking at each other. Michael led us into a room we'd never seen before. It was sort of like the examination room I'd woken up in, except this room was half its size.

"Here they are, sir," said Michael.

Doctor Davenport turned around his wheelchair to face us.

"Do come in," he failed to deliver a sane smile. "I suppose you know why I've called you in, correct?"

"Yes," I answered.

"Michael, tell them what to do," he said.

Michael walked a few steps to a table behind him and picked up a cup. He walked up to Anne May.

"Pee in this cup, we'll be examining your urine," he gave it to her. She took it and went into another room, no questions asked.

"Tanner, Doctor Davenport would like you to answer some questions," Michael said. I spoke to soon.

"Answer honestly. If you lie, I will find out." Doctor Davenport stared at me coldly through his glasses. I nodded, keeping a poker face.

"Was that your first time?" Doctor Davenport inquired as Michael took notes.

"No," I replied.

"How many times have you had sex?"

"I don't have a number for that," I confessed.

He nodded mockingly. "Was that the first time you did it with Anne May?"

"Yes."

"Where did you do it?"

As if he even had to ask. I told him anyway. "The shower rooms."

"Excellent, that's exactly what we wanted," he clapped. I already knew.

"Now I must ask..." he began. I blinked.

Come on Tanner, poker face.

He rubbed his chin. "Did you or Anne May use any form of contraceptive?"

I waited for him to finish the whole sentence, and paused a short second before replying "No."

"Are you certain?" He asked again.

"Yes."

He was about to ask another question when another scientist entered.

"Ah Ruben, what news do you bring?"

"Not good," Ruben responded.

"Why?" Doctor Davenport couldn't hide his annoyance.

"We finished the examination."

"And?"

Michael slowly turned his back to Doctor Davenport, until he was completely facing Ruben.

"The subject is not pregnant."