15. Rebel

I awoke to a vast space of emptiness. Everything was pitch black. I could only hear voices.

"Doctor! You promised I wouldn't have to be part of it," a female voice whined.

"Yes, but plans have changed. If you didn't notice, this experiment almost ended in a disaster. You're the only one left," It sounded like Doctor Davenport's voice.

"I won't go through with it," she whimpered. It wasn't Anne May, that was for sure.

"You have no other choice."

"Please," she begged.

"Darcy. Let's make a deal. You stay here for nine months, and we'll let you go after you deliver the new clone."

"How do I know you'll keep this deal? I became Vice Captor so I wouldn't be a subject. Once again I'm your guinea pig! You only switch things to your convenience."

"Darcy Reed, you aren't listening. I'm giving you a chance, either take it or leave it."

She gave a heavy frustrated sigh.

"Fine. I'll do it," Darcy gave in.

"Good, I'm glad we're getting somewhere. It'll only be nine months, don't worry."

She stayed silent.

"Would you look at the time? I should be getting home now."

I heard Darcy tsk. None of us knew the time. Well, except for the scientists.

"Ruben! Michael! I leave you both in charge of the lab. That includes the subjects, of course."

"Yes sir," two male voices said simultaneously.

I heard Doctor Davenport walk away, and two pairs of footsteps come closer.

"Darcy, change out of your uniform. You heard the Doctor, you're not a Vice Captor anymore," one of them said.

"You're a traitor, Ruben," Darcy retorted.

"I'll lead you to your new room," said Ruben. They walked away.

"Tanner," Michael said in a hushed tone.

"Michael?" My mouth was parched. "I can't see anything."

I felt his hands pull something near my ears, and that's when I realized I'd been wearing a mask. I blocked my eyes from the bright lights, removing my arm slowly until they finally adjusted.

I also realized that I wasn't tied down this time. Michael handed me a bottle of water, which I chugged down in about five seconds.

"Where's Anne May?" I panted, wiping water away from my mouth.

Michael gave me a sympathetic look. "I'm afraid you won't be seeing her any time soon."

"Why not?!" My heart beat faster as I sat up. I couldn't believe it. I'd lost her, again.

"They're taking her in for more examinations."

I stared down at my lap, feeling hopeless. How long would we stay here? Would it ever end? What does our existence even mean anymore, now that we know our human identities were nothing but a mere illusion? A lie fed to us since birth, all for our safety. We never expected to end up here. Now I don't know what will happen.

"Tanner," Michael whispered. I looked up, brows furrowed and a single tear dripping down my cheek.

His mouth formed that nervous straight line once again. "I just want you to know..." He gulped and looked away.

"What is it?" I asked, my voice deflated and void of emotion.

"There's no point in telling you that I'm against all this. I didn't know how inhumane it was until you and Anne May arrived. I'm sorry," he looked deep into my eyes, and I saw tears forming in his as well. "I understand if you can't forgive me, I don't know if I would in your position." He looked away, trying to hide the shame he felt.

Remorse was a feeling that every other scientist lacked. He made a mistake in participating, but he made the effort to undo it by slowing down the project.

"To tell you the truth, I knew you were different since the first time I met you," I admitted. He turned to me.

"You didn't look at me the way Doctor Davenport did," I continued. "You still treated me like a human."

"You're the only one who deserves forgiveness, Michael. Thank you," I whispered.

He smiled and wiped away his tears with the sleeves of his lab coat. I could tell he was deeply moved, as was I.

"Thank you," he sniffed. "Just know that I will consider it my duty to save you all."

My eyes widened. I lowered my voice, "Save us? But how?"

"I'm going to take you to your room. You and Darcy will switch off the lights." He leaned in. "After that, you will carve a hole into the mattress with this razor. There's a key inside." He held out a blade, and I took it.

I furrowed my brows once again in confusion. "Why would they hide a key in there of all places?"

"I'm not sure, but those are the only keys to the exit you're going into."

The whole thing seemed sketchy to me, but an exit is an exit. I'd have to take this chance.

"Next, both of you will work together and push the metal bed away. It'll be heavy, but just work with it. There'll be a trap door under it."

Super sketchy.

I nodded. Michael continued, "Use this key to open it." He gave me a bronze key.

"It's ok if you make noise, just don't let the key hit anything or else it will echo. Jump down, and run as fast as you can down the tunnel. You won't have much time."

I gulped. "Wait, what about Anne May?"

He ran his hands through his face.

"I'm not leaving without her." I sat up straighter.

"I'll save her too," he gave me a determined look, and I nodded.

"You'll reach a gate at the end, use the key from the mattress to open it. Walk behind the bushes. Never walk into the open, there's snipers on the roof. You'll find lab coats hidden in the bushes, put those over your clothes. I'll be parked nearby. Never turn your face towards the lab. Go in my car. I'll tell you the rest when we meet again."

"Thank you Michael."

He nodded. "Let's go to your room now."

I clutched the key and blade in my hand as we walked into a new room.

"About damn time," Ruben gave an exasperated sigh.

"My apologies, it took longer than expected to convince him to participate," Michael lied.

"In you go," he commanded. I went in, and they closed the door behind me.