17. Entrapment

I woke up back in the examination room. I tried to rub my eyes, but once again I was tied down.

"Ah, so you're finally awake," Doctor Davenport's raspy voice sounded.

"Where's Michael? And Darcy? And Anne May? I swear if you hurt her," I hissed.

"Slow down! One question at a time please." He rode his wheelchair to a table a couple feet away.

"Anne May is still being examined, as I told you before. Darcy is now being taken for examination as well. Michael is in the back assisting the rest of the team with research." The old man's back was turned to me, and I could see his arms moving but not what he was doing.

His explanation confused me. Had Michael ever picked up Anne May? And Darcy... The Doctor was saying all this as if I'd actually done it with her. Was he not aware that we'd all tried to escape? Michael wasn't in trouble, or else he wouldn't be on the team! Doctor Davenport didn't seem the least bit angry. What was happening?

"I'd like to inform you that Darcy's fertilization was a success." He turned his chair around, a colorless drink in his hand.

"What?" I stared at him with a bewildered expression on my face.

"She's pregnant. With your child. Congratulations!" He clapped. And he actually seemed happy.

"What?" I gawked.

"Is there a problem?" His laughter died off.

"N-no," I broke a sweat.

"Good, I should think there isn't." He lifted the cup to his lips. "Wait!" He brought it back down. "Now I remember what I was going to do."

He picked up a walkie talkie from inside his lab coat. "Michael, please meet me in the Examination Room. You're going to want to hear this!"

In a few seconds, the clear double doors slid open. Michael walked in, and I could tell he was relieved to see me alive.

"Sir, do you think we could unstrap him?" He requested as the doors closed behind him.

"I don't see why not," the Doctor smiled. "After all, I'm in a very delightful mood this evening! Or night. Or morning. Nobody knows for sure!" He laughed to himself.

I didn't care what time it was, I just wanted it to be time for me to leave this sick place.

Michael made his way over to my bed/table and pressed a button on the desk next to it. The metal restraints opened and disappeared into the bed. I sat up and rubbed my aching wrists.

"How are you feeling?" Michael studied my face with concern. The Doctor was behind him.

"I'm good, I guess." Hell, at least I'm alive!

Michael turned around to face the old man. "What is it you had to tell me, Doctor?"

"First, let me pour you a drink," Doctor Davenport offered.

"I don't really-" Michael declined, but the Doctor was already serving one for him.

"Please do me the favor of drinking at least one," the old man held out the glass.

Michael looked at him, then at the cup. At last he sighed and took it.

"Cheers!" Doctor Davenport tapped his glass with Michael's.

"So, what good news do you bring?" Michael lifted the glass to his mouth and took a sip.

"The first part of the breeding project was a success!"

Michael coughed abruptly. My eyes widened.

"What's wrong?" Doctor Davenport furrowed his brows.

"Nothing," he answered in a heavy raspy voice. "It's just, the drink is really bitter is all." He coughed again and set down his drink.

Doctor Davenport laughed. "That's not the strongest one I have."

"Anyway, Michael, there was something else I wanted to tell you," the Doctor clasped his hands together.

"What?" Michael tapped his chest with his fist. His voice was still... not normal.

"You seem to show a lot of interest in our subjects. And not the good kind. Dare I say, you show compassion?"

I gulped. Stay calm, Tanner.

"No, of course-" He was interrupted by another fit of coughing. "NOT."

"You do know my motto, don't you? Say it with me."

"A true scientist has no room for compassion," they said simultaneously. Michael lifted his glasses to rub his eyes fiercely.

"I'm going to stop with this act." The Doctor removed his glasses and set them on the table.

"I know what you both did. You thought you could get away with it, didn't you?" Doctor Davenport taunted.

"What are you talking about?" I joined in.

"Don't play dumb with me, boy," he snapped. "I've known every little trick. The condom, the pills in the napkins, your failed escape! Anne May and Darcy are under surveillance as of now."

Michael's glass shattered. We turned at the same time to see Michael wriggling on the floor. He was clutching his neck, wheezing.

"MICHAEL!" I yelled as I ran and sat by his side.

"MICHAEL TALK TO ME," I shouted.

His face was rapidly draining of color.

"WHAT DID YOU DO TO HIM?" I yelled at Doctor Davenport. My head throbbed with anger and pain.

"I gave him Hydrogen Peroxide," he shrugged. "He shouldn't have taken me for a fool and conspired against me."

I tilted my head back and screamed loudly. Screamed for the death of a friend. Screamed for my entrapment and that of two innocent girls. Screamed for the prank that was never an April Fool's Prank.

This was a cry of war. I would get out of here. Injured or not. Alive or dead. I would try. I would make it out of these walls that were a ticking time bomb for madness.