The Strike Starts Right Damn Now

Jack's POV

I leaned against the distribution gate, eagerly waiting for other Newsies to show up. I looked down at Les to see him nervously looking at the streets.

"Is anyone else coming?" Davey asked.

"I've got no clue," I sighed.

"Hey, well, you've seen Spot Conlon, right?" Race asked taking his cigar out of his mouth. I nodded slightly with a big sigh. "What, what'd he say?"

"Yeah, sure, we seen him."I grunted.

"Him and about 20 of his gang," Davey added.

"And them Brooklyn boys is big," Les giggled.

"And. . . And I gotta say, Spot was very impressed." I stuttered. "Wasn't he?"

"I'd say," Davey chimed in.

"All right, so, they're with us?" Race asked.

"That all depends on how you look at it," Davey said quickly. "If you look and see Brooklyn, then they're with us."

"Yeah, they wanted proof we weren't gonna fold at the first sign of trouble," I scoffed as I shoved my hands in my pockets.

"Are we?" Asked Albert.

"We are not! No! There's us, there's Harlem. . ."

"Well, not so fast, boss." Elmer said going the conversation. "Harlem wants to know what Brooklyn's gonna do."

"What about Queens?" I asked Specs.

"Queens will be right here backing us up," he paused. "As soon as we get the nod from Brooklyn."

"I got the same fish-eye in Midtown," Race sighed. 

"Say, Oscar, it looks like we got bum information about a strike happenin' here today." Morris laughed as he unlocked the gate.

"Not that I'm complaining," joked Oscar. "I know my skull-busting' arm could use a day of rest."

I couldn't help, but roll my eyes as he jokingly pounded his fists. "Are you done?" The brothers laughed before walking through the gate.

"Are we doing the right thing?" Les asked as he watched the Delancys joke around with Wiesel.

"Sure we are," Davey said, comforting his brother.

"Maybe we should put this off a few days," Race suggested.

"No, we cannot just put this. . . Jack, they are not. . ." I watched as Albert pumped into Davey's shoulder. "Say something. Tell 'em if we back off now, they will never listen to us again!"

"Hey, hey!" I yelled getting the boys' attention. "We can't back down now, all right? No matter who does or doesn't show. You like it or not, now is when we take a stand."

"How's about we just don't show up for work?" Albert asked. "That'll send a message."

"No, they'll just replace us! They need to see us stand our ground. Davey," I turned to him for help.

"What?" He shrugged.

"You tell them."

"I. . . Jack. . .

Now is the time to seize the day

Stare down the odds and seize the day
Minute by minute that's how you win it
We will find a way
But let us seize the day
Courage cannot erase our fear
Courage is when we face our fear
Tell those with power safe in their tower
We will not obey!

Behold the brave battalion that stands side by side
Too few in number and too proud to hide
Then say to the others who did not follow through
You're still our brothers, and we will fight for you

Now is the time to seize the day
Stare down the odds and seize the day

Once we've begun
If we stand as one
Someday becomes somehow
And a prayer becomes a vow

"And the strike starts right damn now!" I yelled.

Rose's POV

"I can't believe those delinquents are really doing through with this." I heard Snyder laugh. I poured him his coffee and tried not to say anything.

Oscar and Morris laughed. Oscar looked at me before adding, "The cops are going to tear those newsboys apart."

This made me freeze.

"And that Jack Kelly thinking he can run a union. He couldn't even run out of the refuge without help." Morris laughed as his eyes slowly looked me over from head to toe.

I cleared my throat as I turned back around and started washing the dishes. "What do you think about all of this, Rose?" Oscar said in an amused, accusing, tone.

"I. . . I don't know. This is the first time I've heard of this. . ." I stuttered.

"Well, let me explain it to you." I gasped when Snyder stood up, grabbed my arms and pinned me to the wall. "Those rambunctious newsboys got a little upset because Pulitzer raised the price of papers. They are going on strike and will definitely get arrested. And when they do," I gasped when his grip tightened. "When they do, they will be thrown here. When they are, you are not going to let any of them go. Right?" He said through gritted teeth.

"Of. . . Of course not, sir." I stuttered. I bit back tears as he let me go and walked out of the kitchen. I sat down in the nearest chair and looked down at my shaking hands. 

When I finally had the strength to stand up I started walking around the Refuge, finding more ways to busy myself. As I cleaned the kitchen for the tenth time I tried to keep my mind off of the boys and their strike.

It was all Snyder and the Delancy brothers could talk about. Well, joke about. They constantly made jokes about how the Refuge was going to look like News Boy Lodge and how I would have to make up 30 more beds.

When I got fed up with the jokes, I quickly ran up the stairs, heading towards the roof. I couldn't get Jack out of my head and the way he is always willing to protect his boys. How his newsies cap is always tilted slightly. How his hands are always covered in paint. How his eyes get this sparkle whenever he smiles.

I froze when I looked towards Newsies Square to see the boys fighting the cops. I started biting my nails as I watched, helpless from the sidelines.

My eyes narrowed when I noticed Oscar fighting Jack. I couldn't stop the smile that formed as Jack punched Oscar so hard, he instantly collapsed. "Nice shot, Kelly."