Sing For Medda

Rose's POV

"Jack? You okay?" I asked.

"We gotta go. Now." He said quickly as he grabbed my hand and started running.

"Jack!" I gasped as I tried to get him to stop.

"Come on, Rose!"

"Jack! What is going on?" I gasped when he pulled me into a building. He peaked his head out the door, checking the street. "Jack," I said pulling him back into the room. "What the hell was that?"

"Snyder," he said out of breath making my heart jump into my throat. "He was across the street. He noticed me and I was scared he would notice you too."

"Oh, thanks," I smiled. I stood on my toes and kissed his cheek.

"Hey! You two up there! Shoo!" I looked down to see a beautiful woman in a gorgeous pink gown.

"Morning' Medda," Jack said with a playful smirk.

"Jack Kelly! Get yourself down here and give me a hug." She said with a laugh. I smiled as he ran down the stairs and wrapped her in a tight hug. I shyly walked over and watched as the two laughed and talked.

"And who is this?" Miss Medda said as she noticed me standing off to the side.

"This is Rose. The girl I told you about," Jack introduced me.

"Oh! You're the girl who helped Jack rescue Crutchie. It is so nice to meet you!" She smiled shaking my hand.

"It's nice to meet you too," I smiled.

"You know, Medda, Rose has an amazing singing voice." Jack said smirking at me.

"Really?" She said in a sing-song voice.

"Oh no. . . I just. . ." I stuttered.

"Can I hear something?" She asked.

"Oh I. . . I don't know, I just didn't. . ." I stuttered.

"Come on, Rose. Please? For me?" Jack smiled his heart stopping smile.

I cleared my throat before singing the first song that popped into my head.

"Some say love, it is a river
That drowns the tender reed
Some say love, it is a razor
That leaves your soul to bleed

Some say love, it is a hunger
An endless, aching need
I say love, it is a flower
And you, its only seed

It's the heart afraid of breaking
That never learns to dance
It's the dream afraid of waking
That never takes the chance

It's the one who won't be taken
Who cannot seem to give
And the soul afraid of dying
That never learns to live

And the night has been too lonely
And the road has been too long
And you think that love is only
For the lucky and the strong

Just remember in the winter
Far beneath the bitter snow
Lies the seed that with the sun's love
In the spring, becomes a rose."

When I had finished singing, I held my breath waiting for either one of them to say something. "Wow," Medda smiled.

"I know right!" Jack said excitedly. "Isn't she incredible?" He smiled as he wrapped his arm around my shoulder and pulled me into his chest.

"I think she is amazing," Medda agreed. "So amazing, I'm considering hiring a new act."

"Me?" I gasped out.

"You," she smiled. I looked up at Jack to see him smiling excitedly down at me.

"Oh, wow. . ." I said, biting my lip looking between Jack and Medda.

"So, Rose? What do you say?" Jack asked playfully squeezing my shoulders.

"I say. . .no." I said before quickly getting out from under Jack's hold and running back up the stairs.

"Rose!" Jack yelled, chasing after me.

By the time he caught up to me, we were somehow above the stage. "Rose, stop," Jack said as he wrapped his arms around my waist, stopping me from running again. We stood like that, his arms wrapped around me, neither one of us saying anything.

All that you could hear was both of us trying to catch our breaths from the running. "Rose?" He whispered as he gently grabbed my shoulders and turned me around. He gasped when he saw the tears streaming down my face. 

"I. . . I can't do it Jack. I just can't."

"Why not?" He asked as he reached forward, cupped my face in his hands and wiped away the tears that were currently streaming down my cheeks.

"Jack, you don't even let me go to the market alone and now you want me to stand on a stage every night in the spotlight?" I said, pulling away from him roughly and beginning to pace back and forth. "What if Snyder walks in? Or. . . Or one of the Delancys walk in and sees me on stage? "

"They won't," he sighed as he stood in front of me, forcing me to stop pacing.

"How do you know that?" I asked as he grabbed my hands.

"Because. . . I just know," he sighed with a laugh. "Plus, Medda and I will keep a look out. And I'll make sure that even if they do walk into the theater, I'll run interference. Just like how you helped me escape the Refuge and how you helped me get Crutchie out of there, I'll help you get away from Snyder. . . Wait, that's not what this is about, is it?"

"No," I said looking down at our hands.

"Then what is it?" He asked softly, making me look into his eyes. I opened and closed my mouth, unsure of how to respond. "Rose?"

"I'm scared," I said softly. Jack lifted my chin and pressed a soft kiss to my lips.

"You would be amazing," he whispered. "And I'll be there every night."

"Promise?"

"Promise."