A Late Singer

Jack's POV

I walked into the News Boy Lodge after a long day of selling. "Jack?" Davey seemed surprised to see me.

"Yep," I laughed. "It's me."

"No," Davey laughed. "It's just. . . "

"What, Davey? You ain't makin' any sense."

"Hey, Jack. Isn't Rose's first show tonight?" Race asked as he walked into the room.

I froze when I realized he was right. "Crap! I totally forgot! I ran into Oscar and he kept sayin' that Rose was probably dead and. . . She's going to hate me!" I grabbed my coat and ran out the door towards Medda's Theater.

I ran through the back door to see everyone cleaning up. "Damn it," I mumbled.

"Jack?" I turned to see Medda looking at me sadly.

"Medda! Where's Rose?" I asked, running up to her. "I have to explain. . . I was on my way here when. . . I have to tell her. . . Where is she?"

"I was hoping you could tell me that," she said folding her arms against her chest.

"What?" My heart dropped. "What do you mean you were hoping I could tell you? She isn't here?" I stuttered.

"She never showed up," she sighed. "You. . . You don't know where she is either," she said more of a statement than a question.

"I thought she was here," I said slowly. My heart stopped when she shook her head.

"Jack? Honey, you okay?"

"I thought she was here, but she isn't. . . I don't know where else she could be. The last place I saw her was at the News Boy Lodge this morning. . ." I suddenly felt my breathing speed up.

"Jack," Medda walked over and wrapped me in a hug. "It's going to be okay. We're going to find her. I'm sure she is fine."

"What if she isn't?"

**********

I ran into the News Boys Lodge, frantically looking for Rose. "Whoa," Romeo laughed. "What's got your panties in a ruffle?"

"Where is she?"

"Where's who?" Race asked.

"Mother Teresa," I said sarcastically. 

"Mother who?" Albert asked.

"Rose! Who else?!" I yelled.

"Wait, I thought Rose was at Medda's," Crutchie said slowly. The boys froze when I shook my head.