Santa Fe

Rose's POV

"Where are we going?" I laughed as Jack helped me onto the fire escape.

"I told ya," he said in his thick New York accent. "It's a surprise." He started to walk up the stairs, but stopped when he noticed that I hadn't followed him.

"What's the matter?" He asked jogging back down to me.

"It's just. . . I'm not a big fan of hights."

"Do you trust me?" He asked suddenly.

"I would if you weren't leading me to the roof," I smirked making him laugh. He grabbed my right hand and pulled me up the stairs. When we got to the top I tried taking deep breaths to calm me down, but it didn't work.

Jack wrapped his arms around me and rubbed circles on my back when he noticed I was inches from having a panic attack. "It's going to be okay. I'm right here," he soothed. He pulled away and tucked a piece of hair behind my ear. "You okay?" He asked causing me to nod. "Turn around," he whispered. I gasped when he covered my eyes as he turned me around and led me across the roof.

"If you're planning on pushing me off the ledge, make sure I don't land on that stray cat." I joked causing Jack to laugh. "I can practically feel you rolling your eyes," I smirked.

I gasped when Jack removed his hands from my eyes to reveal a gorgeous sunset draping the whole city is a sea of oranges, purples, and pinks. "Jack," I gasped out. "This is. . ." I let out a giddy laugh.

"I know, right?" He smiled as he walked to the edge, leaning his elbows on the ledge. I walked over next to him and looped my arm through his.

"I can't believe you get to stare at this all day. I would never get anything done." I looked over to see Jack looking at me. "What?"

"Nothing," he stuttered. "Take a moment," Jack sighed. "Drink in my penthouse. High above the stinkin' streets of New York."

"You know something Jack," I said with a slight laugh. "Sometimes I think you're just a little bit crazy."

"What, 'cause I like a breath of fresh air? 'Cause I like seeing the sky and the stars?"

"You're seeing stars, alright."

"Them streets down there," he sighed. "They sucked the life right outta my old man. Years of rotten jobs, stomped on by bosses. And when they finally broke him, they. . . They tossed him to the curb just like yesterdays' paper. Well they ain't doin' that to me!" He yelled towards the street.

"Then why does everyone wanna come here?" I asked.

"New York's fine for those who got a big strong door to lock it out. Yeah, but I tell ya, Rose, there is a whole other way out there. So let them keep their small life in a big city. You and me? We deserve a big life in a small town.

They say folks is dying to get here,
Me, I'm dying to get away,
To a little town out west,
That's spanking new.

And while I ain't never been there
I can see it clear as day
If you want, I bet'cha you could see it, too.

Close your eyes
Come with me
Where it's clean and green and pretty
And they went and made a city outta clay.

Why, the minute that ya get there
Folks'll walk right up and say
"Welcome home, son
Welcome home to Santa Fe!"

Plantin' crops
Splittin' rails
Swappin' tales around the fire
'Cept for Sunday when you lie around all day

Soon you're friends are more like family,
And they begin' you to stay!
Ain't that neat? Livin' sweet
In Santa Fe

"No one worries about your past in Santa Fe! You just hop a Palomino, you'll ride in style!" He laughed.

"Yeah," I scoffed. "Picture me, riding in style."

"I bet a few months of clean air, you'll feel as good as new!

Santa Fe
You can bet
We won't let them bastards beat us
We won't beg no one to treat us fair and square
There's a life that's worth the livin'
And I'm gonna do my share

Work the land, chase the sun
Swim the whole Rio Grande just for fun!

"Hey," he sighed when he noticed the tears start to form. "Don't you know that we's a family? Would I let you down, no way. Just hold on, kid. Til that train makes. . ."

I gasped as Jack grabbed my face in his hands and pressed his lips to mine. I smiled into the kiss as Jack wrapped his arms around my waist. I grabbed the collar of his shirt, pulling him closer, as our lips continued to move in sync.

We jumped apart when the morning bell rang. We stood there, on the roof looking at each other, neither one of us wanting to speak first. We heard the boys wake up and start to move around downstairs. I bit my lip when I heard some of the boys ask where Jack was.

"You better get going. Don't wanna be late getting your papers." I headed towards the stairs, biting my lip as I headed back inside.

"Whoa, Rosebud," Race laughed. "What's up with you? Your cheeks are all red."

I looked behind me to see Jack stepping through the window. When he caught me staring he smiled causing me to do the same. "Oh umm," I cleared my throat turning back around. "It's a little chilly outside so make sure you have a coat." I tucked my hair behind my ear as I headed to the kitchen to start breakfast.

"Jack? Is it really cold outside? Rose did look a little flushed," Crutchie said, concern clear in his tone.

"Yeah," he said biting back the smirk. "Just the cool morning air."