It's A Fine Life

Rose's POV

It's been six months since the Newsies' strike and six months since Governor Roosevelt gave me the Refuge. I changed the name from the Refuge to The House of Refuge. Instead of being a juvenile jail, it is now another home for News Boys and anyone else who doesn't have a home.

The state gave me some money to fix it up and I am proud to say that it looks like a completely different place. I don't have enough money to hire some help but the kids who I've been taking care of are more than willing to pull their own weight. 

Ever since the Governor shut Snyder down, things have been a lot happier in Manhattan. Jack takes care of the news boys and I take care of all the boys and girls Snyder used to have locked up.

I was  in the kitchen, cleaning up after breakfast, when I heard the door opened. "Henry, if you came back to say that you 'forgot' something, I swear I'm gonna. . ."

"Gonna what?" I jumped and turned to see Jack leaning against the doorframe. "What would you do to him?" He smirked.

"I would. . . I would make him help me with dinner," I stuttered folding the towel. I gasped when I felt him wrap his arms around my waist and leaned his chin on my shoulder.

"How ruthless," he joked. "That'll teach him." I laughed as he kissed my cheek.

"I've missed you," I sighed as I turned around and wrapped my arms around his neck. "I know the News Boy Lodge is just down the street, but I feel like you're so busy selling papes and I'm so busy still trying to rid this place of the awful memories. . ." I stopped talking when I saw the smirk on his face. "You're laughing cause I said 'papes' aren't you?"

"I'm glad to see that the boys and I have rubbed off on you," he said tightened his grip  around my waist, pulling me in closer.

"Anyway," I dragged out. "With both of our busy schedules, we barely have time for us. I mean we have never spent time, just the two of us. I feel like we are parents of 50 boys." This made him laugh.

"Yeah, I guess that's true. How about, tonight I treat you to dinner?"

"We can't," I sighed, unwrapping my arms from around him and going back to washing the dishes.

"Why not?" He asked as he came over and started drying the dishes.

"Because. . . What if. . ."

"You still think that if you leave here, even for a night, someone will get hurt and it'll be all your fault," he sighed as he put the towel down and wrapped his arms around me.

"What if Oscar or Morris come looking for me and find that I'm not there, so they decide to hurt those boys. . . I have worked so hard to make sure they feel safe here and. . ." Jack turned me around and pulled me into his chest as the tears started streaming down my cheeks.

"Rose, listen to me," he said as he rubbed circles on my back. "Those boys are going to be just fine for one night without you."

"But," I started but he shushed me.

"But nothin' sweetheart." He pulled away and caught a tear with his thumb. "It's one night. Dinner, maybe go see Medda, walk through Central Park, and then watch the sunset at my penthouse."

"That sounds amazing," I blushed.

"Then let's do it," he said grabbing my hands sending me a pleading look.

I bit my lip before sighing. "Okay, let's do it." I gasped when he picked me up and spun me around.

**********

"And Henry make sure the boys go to bed on time. Oh! And be careful. Johnny likes to try and sneak a cookie around 11 so keep a look out for that. And. . ."

"Rose," Jack laughed. "I think he's got it covered."

"You're right," I laughed awkwardly. "I'm sorry. It's just, for the last six months I've poured a lot of time into this place and I. . ."

"I understand," he smiled with a small laugh as he tucked a piece of hair behind my ear.

I looked back at Henry who gave me a reassuring smile. "Okay," I said turning back to Jack. "Let's go."

Jack and I spent the night doing exactly what he had said earlier this morning. We went and got take out at our favorite cafe and took it to Medda's theater. We watched the show and at dinner. After the show we walked through the park on our way back to the News Boy Lodge. When we got there, we snuck up to Jack's penthouse without waking the news boys. 

When we got to the roof, I immediately walked to the edge and leaned against it. "I never get tired of this view," I sighed happily.

"Me neither," I hear Jack smirk as he wrapped his arms around my waist from behind.

"What a life," I mumbled thinking about where I started and where I ended up.

"It was a fine life, carrying the banner through it all. But now it is an even better life. . .with you." I smiled when he tightened his hold on me. "And to think," he added, "we never woulda met if I wasn't a dashing rapscallion."

"Dashing rapscallion? That's not what Snyder called you." I joked making him playfully tickle me. When Jack stopped tickling me, he rewrapped his arms around my waist. I leaned back against his chest and closed my eyes allowing the feeling of Jack's arms around me be the only thing I thought of. I quietly started humming as the sun began to set. I smiled when Jack began to hum along and sway us back and forth to the sound of our humming.

"Do you ever wanna leave New York?" Jack asked suddenly.

"What?" I asked, turning around. 

"You know," he stuttered.

"Jack, what's going on? What do you mean by leaving New York?" I asked, trying not to get scared. "You're. . . You're thinking about leaving?"

"Well," he dragged out. My eyes widened as I waited for him to continue, but didn't. Jack, seeing my scared expression, grabbed my hand and led me to the bench he had brought up here for me a few weeks ago.

"I'm not saying I'm gonna to leave, I just. . . Don't you ever want to just leave everything behind and start brand new?"

I studied his face trying to read his expression, but failing. "Well," I said clearing my throat. "If you had asked me that eight months ago, I would've said yes."

"Eight months ago?"

"Yeah," I said a blush rising on my cheeks.

"Why eight?"

"Because. . . Because that's when we met. Eight months ago." I could feel the red rise to my cheeks as I focused on our shoes. He put his finger under my chin, making me look up at him.

"If you asked me, I would say the same thing." He said before pressing his lips to mine. Our lips moved in sync as I wrapped my arms around his neck. When we pulled apart, I pressed my forehead to his.

"I love you, Jack Kelly."

"I love you too, my Rose of Manhattan."

The End.