Chapter 15

Today's the day. I'm going to see my father. After another long conversation with Doctor Bryan about it I had her set up the visit. When I told my mom that I'm going to see him she told me to be careful.

Carmen and I left early this morning because it's a four-hour drive to the prison. Tony is driving us and he is going to stay with us for the visit. When we told him what we're doing he wouldn't let us out of the house without him. We have been on the road for about a half hour now and I'm still tired. I cuddled into Carmen's side more and fell asleep.

I felt the car jerk forward and I hit against the seatbelt. Now I'm up. I opened my eyes and looked around.

"We're here. Sorry I got cut off." Tony said pulled the keys out of the ignition.

"It's okay, you ready babe?" Carmen asked as I swallowed the lump in my throat.

"No" I said and climbed out of the Escalade.

I looked up at the prison. Fence and barbed wire surrounded multiple building. There are three different fences to go through before we got onto the grounds. Security here is insane. It took us a half hour to get through. They took everything from us, even my belt which I got annoyed at.

Doctor Bryan got us a private room to see my dad. Three guards escorted us there. One of them has to stay in the room with us. We are led into the room, which has a metal table and three chairs at it. We took our seats at the table and waited. Tony stood behind us. The room kind of looks like an interrogation room like the ones on all of the crime shows on TV. There is a mirror behind us and I'm pretty sure it's a two way.

Carmen took my hand and intertwined our fingers. She is keeping me calm right now. I don't know what I would do without her. My heart is about to beat out of my chest.

It felt like forever past until the door opened. One guard came in followed by a guy in an orange jump suit and two more guards. The guards pushed the man into the chair on the other side of the table and removed his handcuffs. The guards locked his leg cuffs to the floor and left us alone.

I looked at the man sitting in front of me. It's hard to believe this man sitting in front of me is my dad. He looks so different from the last time I saw him. His green eyes look dull instead of the bright green they used to be. He has stubble on his face when he is usually clean-shaven and he has lost a good amount of weight.

I just can't really believe this is my dad. I don't think I will be able to get over the fact this is him. The last time I saw him was the last day of his trial.

"I thought you never wanted to see me again?" He asked. My nerves died down a bit.

"Well I almost dead twice in the last year and I kind of have to get stuff off my chest before I do die." I said back.

"What are you talking about?" Well that got his attention.

"A tree fell on my car and some asshole drugged me at a party. But that's not point." I said.

Dad reached across the table for my hand and I don't pull away. He takes my hand in his and I flinch. Carmen squeezed my hand under the table and I squeeze it back.

"Why did you do it? Why couldn't you let the police handle things? It was only a matter of time before they caught up to Greg." I said.

"When you have a daughter you will understand that if something were to happen to her then you would do anything to make the bastard pay for what they did. I didn't want the police to find him before I did." Dad said trying to keep his anger at bay.