Chapter 21

Carmen's POV

I don't think I'll ever forget watching Gabby crumble to the ground. At first I thought she was okay. She just needed a moment to collect herself after getting the wind knocked out of her but I was so wrong. Then I saw her fall again, heard her scream and I knew something was wrong. Tony held me back when all I wanted to do was run out onto the field. When I watched her being taken right off the field Tony finally let me go to her.

I'm scared out of my mind for my girlfriend. I felt so helpless and useless. But I know I'm not. I have to be strong for her, make her feel calm. So that's what I have been doing. Gabby looks exhausted right now. Her eyes are closed as I rub her arm.

The door opens and so do her eyes. I look at the women who walked in. Her expression was scaring me. Whatever news she has for us, isn't good.

"Hello Gabby, my name is Doctor Maggie Chase. How are you feeling?" She asked and sat on the other side of Gabby.

"Better than before." Gabby answered.

"On a scale of one to ten?" She asked.

"Solid five." Gabby said.

Doctor Chase nodded and wrote some things down before the door opened again. A nurse pushed a cart into the room and quickly left.

"I want to perform an ultrasound to confirm what I think has happened." She said, I couldn't stay quiet anymore.

"What do you think has happened?"

"I think Gabby has suffered a miscarriage." She said.

All of the air left my lungs. What? How could that have happened? As far as I know I don't have a penis. Than it hit me like a ton of bricks and I sat back in my chair, tears forming in my eyes.

"Carmen, what's wrong." Gabby asked concerned.

"I'm so sorry Gabby. He got you pregnant." I said.

Confusion filled her face as she tried to think who I was talking about. As a tear left my eye her face changed.

"No... No I can't be pregnant. The test I took came back negative." Gabby said looking from me back to the doctor.

"There are some things called false-negatives. Usually you should take more than one test. The blood work and urine sample both came back positive." Doctor Chase said.

I'm trying so hard to keep it together for Gabby's sake. I sucked back my tears and tried to cap my emotions for the time being.

"If you could lay back I'll do the ultrasound." Doctor Chase said. I got up from my chair and helped Gabby lay back as Doctor Chase got herself set up.

I lifted Gabby's shirt up to her bra and Doctor Chase put gel on Gabby's stomach. My hand took its place in hers as Doctor Chase started to move the instrument around on Gabby's stomach. The screen was pointed to us but I had no idea what I was looking at.

"If there was a heartbeat we would have heard it by now. I'm sorry. I'll give you guys a few minutes." Doctor chase said.

"How far along was I?" Gabby asked.

"About 13 weeks. Give or take a week." She said and back out the door.

She wheeled the thing out and closed the door behind her. Neither of us knew what to say to the other. Gabby moved over in the bed and I climbed in next to her. I don't know what to say. Even if Gabby did know if she was pregnant, I doubt she would want to keep the baby.