Chapter 11

Devante's Pov

I'm in the studio by myself right now. But I'm not working on anything special in particular, so I invited J.

Justice is an actress, but everybody in the business knows she can sing. I see more than just acting. She got that 'it' factor, you know what I'm saying.

She isn't here yet, but when she does get here I'm goin' try to throw her in the studio. I wrote a song that I think, would fit best for her voice.

About 10 minutes later, I heard the studio door open

"DeVanteee" a familiar voice said while hugging me from behind as I was sitting down, messing with the sound board.

I got up from my chair, & turned around to see my baby.

"Wassup baby, you look fly. Who you trying to impress" I said while giving her a hug, & a kiss.

She was wearing a tight white tight tank top that showed her stomach, with a neutral colored flannel wrapped around her light jeans.

"Impress ? Boy this outfit is just a lil-sum I threw together. But what you doing, what you been working on ? " she said as we both made our way to sit down by the soundboard.

I looked at her & laughed nervously.

"Here you go, everytime you start laughing & shit. I know something is up. So what is it this time." she said chuckling putting her purse down, & getting more comfortable in the chair she sat in.

"See what had happened was, I been thinking a lot about your career"

"And ?" She said sticking a piece of gum in her mouth

"And I think you should sing on this track I been putting together."

" De' ,you know my mind is just on acting right now. Poetic Justice just came out not that long ago an-"

"Listen J, just trust me. You know you can blow. You sing to me all the time, and on top of that you sound better than most of these other so called female artists out here. With your movie just coming out, this would be the perfect time for you to put out your first single." I said moving closer to her, & looking at her in the eyes so that she know I was being serious.

She looked at me, & rolled her eyes & smiled

"So you goin get in the booth? " I asked getting happy

"Yes devante Imma get in the booth" she said cheesing back at me.

"Ayee see that's what I'm talking about baby. Here !" I say passing her the lyric sheet. " Read this over so you can get the feel of the song."

She inhaled & exhaled out deeply.

"De this better be good !" She said as she playfully snatched the lyric sheet out of my hand, & started to read it to herself.

Justice Pov

"That's the way love goes", I read to myself as I seen the title of the song. I kept reading the lyrics to myself in my head, while devante was getting ready to roll himself up a blunt.

🎶Come with me don't you worry
I'm gonna make you crazy
I'll give you the time of your life
I'm gonna take you places you've never been before
And you'll be so happy that you came
Oh I'm gonna take you there, ooh
That's the way love goes
That's the way love goes🎶
-
-
-
-

After a while, I heard the beat & got the feel of the song.

"You ready ? " He asked rubbing on my shoulders as if he was preparing me for a boxing match.

I chuckled

"yea... I'm ready" i say nervously

"Relax baby you got this, now go in the booth & sing the lyrics like we just practiced. With yo Fine ass !" He said slapping my butt.

I chuckled "You right babe let me stop being nervous" I say making my way inside the booth. I put on the headphones & prompted the lyrics up so they would be easier for me to read.

"You good ?" Devante asked on the other side of the window

I nodded my head yes

"Alright" he said turning on the beat, & messing with other buttons to make the track sound right.

We made eye contact, & he gave me a head nod so I can start singing.

So I did...

🎶Like a moth to a flame
Burned by the fire
My love is blind
Can't you see my desire
That's the way love goes

Like a moth to a flame
Burned by the fire
My love is blind
Can't you see my desire
That's the way
Like a moth to a flame
Burned by the fire
That's the way
My love is blind
Can't you see my desire
That's the way love goes
Like a moth to a flame
Burned by the fire
That's the way love goes
My love is blind
Can't you see my desire (that's the way, that's the way, that's the way love goes)

Come with me don't you worry
I'm gonna make you crazy
I'll give you the time of your life
I'm gonna take you places you've never been before
And you'll be so happy that you came
Oh I'm gonna take you there, ooh
That's the way love goes
Don't mind if I light candles
I like to watch us play and baby I've got on what you like🎶

As I was singing I can see the excitement in Devante's eyes, as he nodded his head to the beat. That's how I know I was killin it in the booth.

After a few more takes of me re-singing parts, that was flat. Or that I felt like wasn't good enough, I was finally done. I sung my last notes, & devante gave me the 'okay' to come out the booth.

When I walked out devante came running towards me hugging me while jumping up & down like a little kid.

"Yo Babe, you kilt that shit." He said finally letting go of me

"Thank you !" I said genuinely, I was so proud of myself. I really did that.

"I'm serious, you surprised the fuck outta me. I guess you really is "Janet mutha fucking Jackson" He said playing around

I chuckled because I know he was making fun of the 'incident' that happened at the mall months ago.

"Hold on Imma run it back" he say making his way back to the soundboard to play back the track

We both sat down & vibed to the song

I still can't believe it, I really did that. I really appreciate de' for pushing me to do this.

Short little chapter, I got more coming so stay tuned. Remember I'm just doing this story for fun, a I'm not a whole author. So it's not going to be perfect. Keepreading,voting, & commenting. 🔥