Chapter One

As Oliver sat in the airport waiting for his flight to board, he let out a long sigh. He still wasn't sure if this was the right thing to be doing. All he knew is that he needed to see Elio and explain everything to him. It had been three years since that one perfect summer in Italy. Ever since that phone call Oliver made telling Elio that he was going to be married, they had lost contact. Oliver certainly didn't blame Elio, how could he? Even after the engagement ended over two years ago, Oliver never told Elio. He knew he had hurt him when he left, and he couldn't help but feel guilty. He had known since the first time they had kissed in the grass that he had to be careful. After all, Elio was merely seventeen, practically a child.  He had tried to keep his distance, but he just couldn't resist him. After Oliver called off his engagement, the first thing he had wanted to do was call Elio. However, as much as it pained him, he knew that he had to wait.  After all, Elio was only just coming of age and Oliver knew that it wouldn't be fair to Elio or to himself to try to make something happen between them while they were both so young. So he had waited, waited two long years. Now Elio was twenty, and Oliver hoped he would be able to understand why Oliver had to do what he had done. "Maybe this still isn't fair" Oliver thought to himself. He hadn't talked to Elio or any of the Perlman family since that last telephone call. For all he knew, Elio was married.

Just then, Oliver heard the announcement that his flight was boarding. He took a deep breath.  This was it, he had to decide now. "You know you want to see him again", a voice in his head told him. "But maybe he doesn't want to see you", a different voice nagged. "You'll never know unless you go see him", the first voice whispered. And with that final push, Oliver boarded the plane that would take him back to Italy, back to that summer, back to Elio.