Chapter Five

As Elio and Oliver exited the cab that had brought them to their hotel in Rome, Elio looked all around him, soaking up the culture and history of this marvelous city. Despite having lived in Italy his whole life, he had only ever been to Rome once. He was eight years old and his father had brought him along on a business trip. Elio remembered going around and seeing all of the tall buildings with such detailed designs that they seemed to be something right out of one of the numerous fairytales Elio was forever reading. The city that had seemed so magical to him as a child, now had a mature beauty to it, as if it knew something they didn't. 

"Ready?" 

The question seemed to pull Elio out of a trance, he looked up at Oliver and nodded. 

Five  minutes later found Elio and Oliver opening the door to their room and entering. In the center of the room was a bed that was draped in a dark blue duvet with a pattern of gold spirals on it. In the corner facing a window that looked down on the street, was a desk with a telephone on it. Elio immediately dropped his luggage on the floor and leaped onto the bed, collapsing with a contented sigh. Oliver started laughing as he joined Elio on the bed. 

"What?," Elio asked him, smiling. 

"You haven't changed," Oliver replied, "it's like it was all those summers ago." 

"Better," Elio said. 

"Better," Oliver agreed.