Chapter Eight

Early the next morning, just as the sun was beginning to rise, Elio quietly got up from the bed so as not to disturb Oliver who was sleeping soundly beside him. He dressed and exited the hotel room. He had decided to go on a walk to clear his head for a bit.

      He walked out of the hotel doors and began his way down the paved cement sidewalk. He had awoken that morning with a sense of contentment he could only attribute to Oliver's body lying next to him. After nearly 3 years it still felt so right to him, so safe. He had often wondered what would have happened if Oliver hadn't left Italy, he had spent many hours pondering what their life together could have been like.

     He realized now as he walked along the streets of Rome, that if Oliver had stayed, it very well could have resulted in him leaving in a much more painful fashion. Looking back, Elio knew that he was still so young when it all happened, if Oliver had stayed, it would have just resulted in more heartbreak.

       Elio continued walking towards the center of town, his feet plodding along the stones. All that mattered now was that Oliver was back and Elio was now ready. He hadn't said anything to his friends back in Crema about what had happened between him and Oliver, but he could guess that a few of them knew, at least Marzia. Elio had never in words told her about it all, but she was a very intuitive person when it came to those kinds of issues, so he never had to tell her.

      He wondered if his parents had told her that he had left for Rome with Oliver. He had not told them they couldn't tell anyone, but he hoped they were keeping it fairly quiet, he wanted to explain it to everyone probably when he got back, he didn't need the matter to be distorted in their whispers of what had happened.

      Elio hadn't realized how long he had been walking until he looked up and found himself at the same fountain he and Oliver had talked at the night before.
Realizing Oliver would be waking soon, Elio turned his body and began making his way back to the hotel, back to Oliver.