Chapter Six

That night -as the stars were just beginning to peak out from behind the clouds- found Elio and Oliver wandering the city. Hand in hand, they didn't speak but simply took in their surroundings and the sense of rightness they found in each other's company. After dinner at La Pergola, Oliver had suggested they walk around the city for a while and Elio had gladly agreed. After all, wandering with each other was something they both very much enjoyed. They passed a large, splendid fountain and Oliver gently tugged Elio towards it. Not saying a word, he lead Elio to the base of the fountain and they both sat down. Elio glanced at Oliver and then at the fountain that was brightly lit, water gurgled gently over the sharp defined edges of the statues.

"Beautiful, isn't it?"

Elio looked over at Oliver, startled by the sudden words, and nodded.

"It's called The Fountain of the Four Rivers," Oliver continued, "it represents the Nile, Rio de la Plata, Danube, and Ganges rivers. It was built by Gian Lorenzo Bernini, an Italian sculptor and architect, between 1648 and 1651."

"How do you know so much about it?" Elio asked.
"As a child I often dreamed of coming to Rome," Oliver answered, "I read countless books about this city and all of the famous landmarks, including fountains. The intrigue of Rome followed me to adulthood so I suppose I just never forgot."

Elio smiled to himself as he pictured a young blonde haired Oliver.

"I came here once as a child," Elio replied, "my father brought me along on one of his work trips. Looking back, I suppose I didn't care much for the culture and history of this city, my fascination with it stretched as far as the architecture of the buildings themselves. I never had really considered coming back here, I would've rather my time been spent in America or somewhere not so similar to what I had grown up around, but being here with you, even just walking now... it's like my eyes have been opened up to seeing it in a whole new light."

Oliver smiled at these words and gazed back up at the faces of the statues in the water.

"I'm just the opposite," he said, "I was sick of America and ready to get out and see the world, see Rome. I already knew I would love everything about it, but seeing it with you only increases my appreciation for it."

Oliver suddenly stood up and reached out his hand. Smiling and slowly standing, Elio took it.