Chapter Ten

"You know what I think?"

"Hmm?" Elio looked at Oliver from across the table. They were sitting outside a small cafe and the sunlight was warm on their faces.

"You need to get out of Italy."

Elio stared at him for a moment, perplexed. "Why?"

"You've spent so much time here and I can't help but feel like it's partially my fault."

"It's not," Elio reassured him.

"Maybe not, but either way... when we first met you had so much passion for travel, you were so excited to be done with school so you could travel the world. What happened?"

Elio shrugged, looking across at the fountain opposite them. "I don't know, Oliver. I feel like I spent so much of my life longing to get away from this place, but..." he trailed off into silence for a moment before continuing. "By the time I was finished with school, traveling alone didn't seem as appealing as it did when I was younger. I traveled around Italy a lot, both by myself and with friends, but it just never excited me as much as I thought it would."

"Traveling alone can be healing, but I understand... it's not the same. But what if I was to go with you?"

Elio looked back at Oliver and smiled. "I'd like that, Oliver." 

"I'm glad you agreed," Oliver smiled, "because we're leaving for Paris tomorrow."

"Really?" Elio felt the excitement rising in him but felt the need to control it.

Oliver nodded. "Is that alright?"

"It is, it really is," Elio answered, smiling
back at him. "You really are trying to be smooth though, aren't you?"

"And what do you mean by that?"

"Well first you blatantly leave the poem in plain sight for me to see, and then out of all the places you could take me to, you choose the "city of love."

"I assure you, Elio Perlman, I've given up too much time already to waste any more," Oliver smirked at the dark haired boy in front of him.

Elio stood up suddenly. "I need to call someone, I'll be right back."

Oliver nodded and stared as he watched the dark haired boy walk away from him, silently hoping to god he'd never have to say goodbye to him again.