Hidden Pages

A/N: As usual, I would recommend putting the video on loop.

Over the course of the day, the two of them had moved out further since none of the fish were biting. (F/n) was mainly convinced that only clinglobs lived by the shore of the lake. She now stood on some rocks that peeked out from the deeper water. The middle of the lake was still far off, but if she fell in, there would probably be some good distance between the surface and floor of the lake. If the water was clearer, she would feel better about it, but she doubted that Will could influence the water to be so.

Seating herself on the rocks, she looked over to Will, who stood several feet away from her. She maintained a close eye on him in case he tried to push her in to get payback for earlier. He falling in, though, wasn't even her fault. Thankfully, he looked more focused on fishing for the moment.

As silence was about to continue, she decided to take a risk. "Will, that book of children's tales ... was it really your sister's?"

Instead of one of his cheery responses, he asked in an unnerving calm voice, "What do you mean?"

"You said it was your sister's, but when you mentioned that, you had a different tone in your voice. Usually, you're in a more optimistic mood when you talk about her despite all the complaining her friends and she make about your food. For the book, you seemed like you had recalled something unpleasant." When he didn't answer but tightened his grip around the fishing rod, she quickly added, "I'm sorry. It's none of my business. My curiosity got the better of me."

Taking a seat himself, he shook his head. "It's quite alright. I just made myself too obvious. I should've known that you would've suspected something. There's also the fact that you do observe me quite closely. You still don't trust me. Then again, who would immediately trust a man out in the middle of the woods?" He pushed his left fingers back through his hair.

Meeting her gaze, he sent a small smile her way as if to say that he was alright. She wondered, though, if he was debating to kill her then and there. "The book ... wasn't my sister's. It belonged to a childhood friend of mine. Unfortunately, they passed away ten years ago in an ... accident." As the word accident slipped past his lips, she noted pure rage burning in his eyes. It reminded her of Tarhuinn's look whenever he became inflamed.

When it vanished, she responded softly, "I apologize for asking. That must've been rough on you."

"It was," he simply answered. "You didn't know, though. There's no need to apologize. I had you explain your rough marriage to me. It's to be expected that I give you some more information about me."

"Would you like me to not read the book again, then? I wouldn't want to ruin something with precious memory value to it."

"No, I'd rather you utilize it. I haven't read its contents in awhile, so it's good to see it in use. I'm sure that my friend would've wished for that. Besides, I like you. I haven't laughed like I've laughed with you in quite some time. For that reason, I'd like you to read it even more."

His words took her a little off guard, and she didn't know what to say to them. She didn't like him back. If anything, she was just happy that she had received more information from him. There was the possibility that it wasn't true, but that angered gaze of his suggested otherwise. To her, that was no act, and something more than an accident must have happened to this childhood friend.