Chapter Twenty Six

"My, my, what a delightful surprise," Sevik exclaimed as he leaned casually against the table. "Aleksandr Drosselmeyer, the dashing hero! Claire and I have been getting better acquainted. As a matter of fact, we were talking about you. Won't you join us?"

Alek strode across the packed dirt floor, his arms crossed behind his back. He came to a stop a few feet away, standing beneath the thin streams of light filtering down from overhead. Now that Claire could see him better, she realized he looked rather out of place among the dirt and grime surrounding them. His tailored high collared black great coat and his white silk shirt were better suited for a stroll down Viridian street rather than a root cellar.

"Are you alright, Claire?" Alek asked, ignoring Sevik's comments.

Even in the dim lighting Claire could tell by his stiff posture that Alek was angry. The muscles in his clenched jaw were straining as he struggled to keep his emotions in check. He had them under control, of course, but barely.

"Yes," Claire said at last.

"I told you not to leave the house on your own," Alek stated coolly.

"Yes, I know, I'm sorry," she apologized.

"Why is it so difficult for you to follow such easy instructions?"

Claire scowled. "Well maybe if-"

"As touching as this conversation is," Sevik interrupted impatiently. "I believe we have more important matters to discuss."

"Who are you exactly?" Alek inquired, finally turning his attention on Sevik.

"Who am I? You mean you don't know? Oh. you wound me, Alek," Sevik replied, clutching dramatically at his chest. He let his hand drop, his shocked expression melting into a devious smirk once again. "I suppose proper introductions are in order. My name is Sevik Zukal, Shadow Master, Lord High Commander of the armies of Wintershold, and advisor to her majesty Queen Eira Avindor." He offered a sweeping bow.

Alek was quiet for a moment. "Doesn't ring any bells," he finally replied with a dismissive shrug. "It does, however, sound like you're an awful long way from home, Sevik. What brings you to Avala?"

Claire saw Sevik stiffen, and caught a brief glimpse of the knife as Sevik pushed away from the table. Her gaze flickered towards Alek, a warning poised on her lips, but he met her eyes and offered a short shake of his head. She swallowed back the words and maintained her silent vigil.

"I've come to see you, or haven't I made that clear?" Sevik replied, his annoyance evident in the sharpness of his tone.

"I must've missed it," Alek said indifferently. "What does Claire have to do with any of this?"

"Straight to the point, I like that. You're a hard man to pin down, Alek," Sevik explained as he circled around to stand behind the chair where Claire was bound. His steps were slow and taunting. "So after spending weeks always being two steps behind, I decided to find a way to get ahead."

He leaned against the top of the chair, one hand snaking downward. His fingers tangled in the loose golden curls at the nape of Claire's neck. Impulsively, she tried to shake him loose, but the slender digits tightened and he jerked her head back sharply. Alek took half a step forward, his arms falling to his sides, his hands balled into tight fists.

"I'd stay back if I were you," Sevik warned and Claire felt the increasingly familiar touch of cold steel against her throat. "Unless you are as eager as I am to see how beautiful she'd look in red."

Alek went still. His face was frozen and expressionless, but his eyes were blazing.

"Now that we've got the pecking order straightened out, did you bring me what I asked for?"