Chapter Thirty Two

The end did not come. At least, not in the way Claire expected it. As the energy crackled and spit around them, like hundreds of angry pit vipers vying for the first bite, it never actually touched them. Claire felt the hair on her arms stand on end and when she looked up, Alek was staring down at her, a smirk tugging at the corners of his mouth.

"Think you could untie me?"

"What's happening?" Claire breathed, pulling at the ropes tying his hands behind his back.

"It's the strangest thing," Alek began thoughtfully. "I had this dream involving a very persistent and troublesome blonde... she gave me a warning I felt it was prudent to heed. Later, you will need to tell me how you managed such a feat."

Claire felt overwhelmed with emotion. Tears sprang to the corners of her eyes and she threw her arms around him. He wrapped his arms around her and gave her a gentle squeeze. "I've done nothing to deserve such a warm welcome, but I do intend to remedy that very soon. What do you say we get out of here, hmm?"

"Yes," Claire managed.

"You may want to close your eyes," he said, pulling her against his side, he reached out with his free hand towards the energy that still crackled around them. It bowed inward for a moment and then expanded outwards, exploding into a sparkling shower of harmless lights.

As the sparks settled around them, Alek slowly rose, pulling Claire up with him.

This time it was Sevik's turn to stare in slack jawed surprise.

"How are you still alive? How?" He roared angrily.

"That's not important right now, Sevik," Alek replied. "What you should be worried about is how long you'll have to live when you return to your mistress empty handed."

Sevik's outraged expression shifted to one of panic. He reached into his pocket where he had tucked the nutcracker doll away for safekeeping. He must have found what he was looking for because his face relaxed into an easy smile. He drew the nutcracker out and rolled it from one hand to the other.

"You almost had me going there, Drosselmeyer," Sevik mused. "While it is true my queen will not be pleased to learn of your continued existence, what matters most is that I've brought her what she desires above all else."

Darkness began to creep in towards them, as though the shadows had come alive. Fearing these were shades, Claire pressed closer to Alek.

"I hope you won't take it personally, but I must take my leave," Sevik continued as the shadows grew closer. Alek seemed unbothered by the encroaching darkness and simply shook his head.

"I suppose this is goodbye for now then, Sevik," Alek replied.

"Until we meet again, friend," Sevik offered Alek with a smirk and a sweeping bow. He started to turn, but paused to look back. His gaze locked with Claire's and she quickly turned away, her eyes focusing on a loose thread protruding from Alek's jacket. Despite her best efforts, she could still see Sevik from the corner of her eye.

"Don't think this is the end, my love," he mused, lifting the fingers of his hand to touch the cut on his lip. "I always repay a debt." Alek's hold on her tightened, and, before either of them could respond, Sevik vanished into a swirl of black smoke, the shadows that had been pooling around them vanishing as well.

As the darkness faded, Arabella appeared in the gaping hole Sevik had created in the wall.

"Did it work?" She gasped breathlessly. Her eyes swept the room and when they settled on Alek, alive and well, a smile broke out across her face. "It worked! You did it, Claire!"