Chapter Forty-Four

Claire followed Elysia down a set of narrow, spiraling stairs, the vivid imaginings of her own mind rising once again as she pictured the worst. Elysia shoved aside a heavy wooden door that lead them outdoors.

The night was cold, but Claire hardly noticed. The inner courtyard in which they now found themselves in, was in complete chaos and demanded all of her attention.

Shouts rang out through the moonlit darkness, sharp, indistinguishable cries full of outrage and fury. Elysia let out a rage filled cry of her own, which caught Claire entirely off guard. The fae woman seemed more a fierce lion in that moment than majestic queen of the faeries.

"The things I am going to do to Jarrah when this is over," she hissed violently. "Stay here, girl."

Before Claire could say a word, Elysia leaped into the fray, disappearing moments later.

Claire, uncertain, remained hunkered in the archway, eyes sweeping the courtyard for some sign of Alek or Draz.

Unable to see them, Claire began to grow anxious.

What if they were hurt somewhere, or in trouble?

It was time she stopped letting other people do the fighting for her, it was time she stepped up and took control of her fate rather than allowing it to drag her along with unfettered abandon. She wasn't sure how, but she was going to bring Sevik to his knees.

Easing out of the archway, Claire ran along the length of the wall, eyes continually scanning the area for signs of her friends, as well as any sign of trouble potentially heading her way.

Finding another doorway, and another set of stairs that leading up to a tower, Claire ducked inside and began to climb.

By the time she reached the top she was breathless and had a stitch in her side, but it proved to be worth the trouble. From her new vantage point, the courtyard spread out before her and she could see the thick, shifting darkness surging through the other combatants.

Shades.

It didn't surprise her, not when Sevik was involved.

The shades were not the only combatants it seemed. There were fae as well, no longer garbed in the white but dressed in darker, earthy tones that made it harder to spot them as they rushed through the shadows to engage with their former kin.

Her eyes moved towards the far end of the courtyard where she saw a glimpse of fire flare up briefly before fading.

Draz she thought, a feeling of relief sweeping over her.

Alek had to be with him, she was sure of it.

Her feeling of elation was quickly replaced by one of despair. How in the world was she going to get across the courtyard? There had to be dozens of shades between her and them, not to mention the fae. For all she knew they still thought she was guilty and would cut her down the moment they saw her.

Turning full circle, Claire's eyes landed on a door opposite from where she stood. Moving to it, she pushed it open and found it lead into a narrow hall that ran the length of the wall. If she could follow it all the way around, she could get to Draz and Alek without having to risk the battle raging below.

Feeling confident, Claire closed the door behind her and made her way as quickly as she could down the long length of the wall. At the far end was another door, beyond it a small room with yet another staircase. Like before, there was another door that lead out onto the next piece of wall.

Claire didn't linger, didn't stop to reconsider her actions for if she had she might have decided to wait out the fight in the safety of the tower room. Instead, she moved with purpose, never wavering in her resolute desire to reach her companions.