Chapter Twenty Seven

A loud stomping sound jerked Claire from a restless state of half-sleep, and nearly sent her toppling down the narrow stairs to the basement below. She wasn't sure how long she had been curled up against the door, but her body felt stiff, and a dull throb in the back of her head reminded her that the day's events were not a dream.

In her hand she still clutched the strange pendant she'd found in the dust. While she had no conclusive evidence as to where it had come from, she clung to the hope that Alek had left it behind. All she had to do was figure out why.

Another crashing bang reminded Claire of what had startled her to begin with, and she pressed her ear to the door. Was Sevik back? Had he gotten what he wanted from Alek? Claire had no idea how much time had passed, whether it had been minutes, or hours, but the lack of light filtering down from above suggested darkness had fallen.

She could faintly make out the sounds of people walking, of things getting tossed over, and muffled voices drifting through the rooms overhead. In her hand, the pendant began to glow a warm, pulsating pink light that filled the narrow space where she sat.

"I see a light!" A voice called out excitedly.

Claire quickly clamped her other hand over the pendant, still uncertain as to whether the new arrivals were friend or foe. Despite her best efforts, it was too late, the light had attracted their attention and Claire heard hurried footsteps drawing closer. Without warning the door upon which she'd been leaning was pulled open and Claire tumbled out with a startled cry. She spilled gracelessly across the floor at the feet of her unwitting rescuers.

"I found her!" It was the same excited voice from before and Claire nearly wept with relief.

"Arabella?" she croaked, her throat dry and scratchy.

"Damn it, Claire! You had us scared half to death!" Draz shouted angrily before gathering her up into a tight hug. Claire clung to him, finding comfort in his arms once again. The tears she'd been fighting spilled freely now. She barely noticed as Arabella swept past her and down into the basement.

For a brief moment, Claire was brought back to instance on the train when Draz had saved her from being consumed by the shade. This time there was no awkwardness in his embrace, only relief.

"There's no one else here," Arabella announced upon her return.

"Where is Alek?" Draz asked. The question nearly brought her to tears again.

Where indeed.

"He's gone, Draz," she gasped, her heart aching. "I'm sorry, Ara. I tried to save him but I... Sevik is after whatever is in that bag. Alek promised to take him to it if he let me go. But Sevik locked me in here, and took Alek somewhere. We have to find him!"

Claire tried to stand, but Draz restrained her.

"Whoa, Claire, calm down," Draz insisted. "First of all, who is Sevik?"

"He's the one behind all of this, last night at the ball, the man in black," Claire said, frantically motioning with her hand to the space around them. "I wouldn't tell him anything, no matter what he did to me."

"Did to you...?" Draz questioned before he took hold of her shoulders and pushed her back so he could examine her. His eyes swept across her face, and then lower until they settled the array of tiny cuts that decorated the sweeping curve of her throat.

Arabella gasped and a hot flash of anger crossed Draz's face, flaring in his eyes like dying embers imbued with new life. "I'll kill him. I swear I'm going to tear that bastard limb from limb."

"That's not important right now, Draz!" Claire protested. "We have to find Alek!"

"Who do you think I intend to kill?" Draz growled. "This is his fault!"