The River

Hunter's point of view:
I couldn't help but chuckle occasionally as we rode to the river. Lo'ak was absolutely livid with me after I covered him and Kiri in mud. Though Kiri and Spider thought it was hilarious after a short while, she wasn't big on it getting in her hair. In my defense, it's their fault, though, for laughing at me when I was just learning.

    I patted the Thanator's side as we leaped over a fallen tree. We crouched low through the undergrowth, moving together. We were silent and swift. It was probably why the direhorses were so cautious of us despite being unprovoked. 

We swiftly climbed over fallen trees and stalked through flora and fauna. Other animals were frightened by the sudden appearance of a Thanator, but a few calming words helped reassure them. However, because of our quicker movements, we traveled too far ahead of the others, so when we got too close to the river, I sat up and looked around for them. 

They weren't far behind but just out of sight range. Lo'ak and Kiri soon appeared on their Direhorses, equally covered in dried mud. Lo'ak still looked to be in a foul mood, and I mumbled about him being no fun. Kiri and Spider, as they were the closest to me, looked over and smiled brightly. Kiri chuckled as she said, "A think this mud is gonna help make my skin smooth after this bath in the stream." I smiled as even mud couldn't dampen her mood. Spider just shook his head from where he sat behind her on the direhorse and said, "I'm just hoping. this bath will wash away the smell." Kiri glared over her shoulder as her tail whacked Spider in the side. 

     I saw my Thanator look at me from the corner of his eye, and a deep voice in my head spoke, 'I thought it was hilarious. The Na'vi boy doesn't have a sense of humor.' The voice had a similar tone as the viperwolves but was different as he spoke to me. I smiled and nodded, rubbing his neck lightly. I noticed the animals didn't consider me the same as the Na'vi. I didn't understand why, and they couldn't explain. I would have thanked my thanator for taking my side, but my ears perked. A familiar trickling sound could be heard as I listened to the running of water.

    I saw Lo'ak and Kiri start to urge their direhorses forward at a quicker pace. This pace allowed me to follow them from a safe enough distance that I didn't scare the direhorses. Even when I had learned to ride on direhorseback, I still didn't get the same rush of energy as I did on the Thanator. The excitement of running with a Thanator is that they are so graceful but fast they almost glide over the land.

    I caught up to them in no time and looked to my left, where Lo'ak was riding. Lo'ak, I noticed rides very much like it was second nature to him, but his movements weren't fluid. They were still and very uninterested. This was very different from Kiri, who seemed to glide and flow over the land while riding. Unlike her brother, Kiri's face lit up when she rode, and she seemed more connected than he was. I wonder if the difference was just from a lack of practice on Lo'ak's part or if Kiri had more of a passion for it. 

    I saw the trees start to thin up ahead, and the sounds of water seemed all around me. I slowed slightly when we reached the edge of the forest. As the trees vanished away and the plants thinned, I felt the sunlight from above. The sunlight trickled down onto the muddy ground and the water below the bank. I gazed at the crystal-clear water and felt myself relax as it appeared calm today. The water was coming down from a huge waterfall that was also feeding off another waterfall. I climbed down from my Thanator and patted his side. The Thanator's quills rattled together as a form of communication. The quill movement on a Thanator's head has various meanings, including saying hello, goodbye, or in a display of dominance. It also shook together as a form of echolocation in the dark. I rubbed his neck as I waited for the other two to join me on the forest floor. The Thanator nudged my side before shaking. Some bits of dried mud flew off as he got comfortable.