This Means War

Lo'ak's point of view:

   After Mom's specific instructions, Neteyam made sure to have all the warriors and hunters have elder warriors with them at all times in case the soldiers were to approach. This was a preventive measure to make sure there was a plan in case of an attack. This made hunting and just exploring the forest to be immensely difficult, though. However, I made up for it by using my free time to talk strategy with my dad who was surprisingly open to it. Eventually, I gave a few suggestions to my brother, who was planning where warriors would be stationed during hunts.  It was agreed that it would be best to have the hunters stay along the tree tops as the warriors with more close combat training with weapons would take the ground on horseback and on foot. This also proved helpful for hunting as the warriors would drive prey in the hunter's direction.

    I said I wanted to be one of the warriors on the ground but I was immediately overruled. It was decided that when hunters and warriors went out of hometree, the only role I could have was a hunter. I wasn't pleased with this but it pleased my mother and father. Neteyam, however, was made as a warrior on the ground, and to my disagreement Hunter was chosen to be amongst the warriors on the ground. I tried to argue that Hunter wasn't ready if I wasn't ready but my father wouldn't hear it. I figured it was because Hunter could control the animals to attack any human soldiers, which was an advantage despite her lack of training. 

But the plans were decided. Now all we had to do was sit and wait. Currently, it was dark out as I sat on the large wooden table. Neteyam was standing as I looked around at the wooden pieces. Neteyam wanted to play the strategy game to distract both of us, so we decided on the human game chess. With the small carved wooden pieces, we played and waited. It was just my brother and me as Hunter and Tuktirey went to the forest edge to look at the glowing plants with Hunter's thanator while Kiri looked for healing herbs. I smiled when I checkmated my brother and he groaned as he rubbed his face. I usually didn't win at strategy games, as I was less willing to look multiple steps ahead and just took the most obvious route. This meant my brother, who was more prone to watching, could outsmart me. However, today he was tired and distracted enough that I could make an easy play to win. He glared at me before he said, "This was supposed to be a distraction for both of us." I laughed at his dismay.

I was waiting for Hunter to come back, and with the constant threat of humans in the jungle, as more time passed, the more anxious I got. Neteyam was also waiting about as patiently as I was for Ahurewa to wake up from the painkillers Mo'at gave her.  After another half-hearted game of chess, both of us heard footsteps from above, and we sat up. Both of us looked at each other before we grew alert as the running grew louder. I stood in case of a threat, and Neteyam grabbed his bow that was resting at his side. Two warriors entered the room behind my sister as Kiri said, "A group of human soldiers entered the clearing heading towards the hometree."

    I quickly grabbed my bow from where it had been leaning against the table and looked toward the two other warriors. They were watching my brother in anticipation before he said, "Gather the warriors and sound the alarm. I want the warriors and the clan prepared in minutes. One of you must alert my father as well. I want the people hidden and guarded." They nodded, and their black hair disappeared as they ran off yelling.

    My brother looked at the chess set next to us before he said, "I never thought I would use strategy outside of chess." I nodded before saying, "Dad always warned us this war would be coming." Neteyam nodded before he said, "I just hope we can keep our players in the game." Kiri had stayed by our side as the warriors disappeared and dropped her bag of herbs before my brother asked her, "Kiri, did you ride or fly?" She looked at him curiously before she said, "I flew. Why?" I froze, knowing why he was suddenly concerned as I said, "Because Hunter is out there with Tuktirey, and she doesn't know the humans are coming."