Ceremony

Hunter's point of view:
   The celebrations for Lo'ak's sister started almost at dawn the next day. Apparently, it was a huge deal for the Eyktan to have a child, even if it wasn't the firstborn. There were large hunting groups sent out for a feast, and despite the light rain of today's storm, many hunters volunteered. I offered to go, but the elder warriors told me to stay in camp. Today, it was their job to provide for the clan. They seemed to consider the action an honor as they were providing for their Ekytan. And it was an honor that didn't appear to be for young warriors. 

Despite understanding that this was tradition, I couldn't help but feel a little left out. Many other hunters were with their own families and friends, preparing gifts and food for the family. I assumed this was a way for them to still feel supportive towards their leaders, who I knew would be away from the clan for quite some time. It was normal for families to be away from normal clan life after having a baby, so the prep work helped Neytiri and our Ekytan during this time. 

Some other families collected fruits and roots for meals, so I didn't know what else was needed. I had tried to help on the main level, but I ended up dodging people who were carrying or weaving on the main level. So I was left to just sit and wait around for the introduction ceremony later today.

I ended up out by the forest with my thanator. The rain had stopped for a moment, and the air, while thick with moisture, smelled of petrichor. It was a comforting smell and allowed me to relax in peace. A few direwolves curled at my sides to doze, probably because I was warm. My thanator was far too awake to be relaxing with me. But I watched in amusement as he stalked around the direhorse pen. He was amusing himself by scaring the direhorses before disappearing to do it again. I shook my head at his actions but let him have his fun. 

It was barely before the eclipse that I saw Kiri and Lo'ak. Kiri was looking around while Lo'ak was just bounding down the trail, bow in hand. His voice was high, which usually meant he was mimicking someone. As they got closer, I assumed they couldn't see me, and it was confirmed right when they almost walked clear past me. I cleared my throat, and the direwolves opened their eyes, now alert to the movement in front of them. Kiri looked around for me before her eyes locked with me in the shade. She smiled brightly and said, "There you are. We've been looking for you." I raised an eyebrow before standing, sending the direwolves scattering. My thanator, now realizing there were others around, emerged from the trees. Lo'ak and Kiri both stepped back on instinct, and my thanator gave a throaty growl which was his version of a chuckle. I shook my head at his actions, but I knew that scaring them was, for some reason, amusing to him. 

Lo'ak was the quickest to recover as he was getting used to the presence of my thanator. I looked back at my thanator before saying, "Go before you scary any more, na'vi." My thanator just grumbled but did as I asked. He smiled before saying, "We have news." Kiri was grinning at me, clearly excited about something. Lo'ak was smiling even brighter than typical. I eyed them both hesitantly before asking, "Good news?" Kiri nodded instantly her hands before her brother held up a hand to calm her before saying, "It's good news." I looked over at Lo'ak, and he shared a look with Kiri before he began to explain.

"We have a tradition, it's kinda what you would call a mentor but more complex. It's where a person is chosen by the members of the family to take care, teach and protect a new baby born to that family. Since our little sister was born, our family has been deciding who to give the title to. Many were considered, but ultimately, it was decided that we would ask you to accept the role."

I felt my eyes widen in shock before I asked, "You all decided on me?" Kiri's mouth contorted in what looked like annoyance before she said, "Well, a majority of us did. It was my mother's idea at first. Father wasn't thrilled, but eventually, he warmed to the idea. Mostly because I didn't think he wanted to fight with Mom." Lo'ak seemed a little angry as well as his ears were turned backward. I gave him a look, and he clarified by saying, "Technically, Ahurewa isn't part of our family, but she was with him during the decision. She thought about you as the choice, but it didn't sway my mother. Even in the end, Neteyam chose you and didn't side with her." Kiri chuckled as if remembering something. She gave me a pleased expression before saying with a smug smile, "Take it as an honor. He rarely sides against her. If she's happy, he's happy. But, I don't mind admitting that seeing her face when he went against her opinion was priceless." Lo'ak laughed at that and nudged his sister's shoulder playfully as I responded, "Well, I wish I could have seen that."