Chapter Four

Away from the prying eyes, the Avengers were taken into a large room that acted as science and military. Agent Carter explained that it was built to test a soldier's strength, and it did. Natasha and Clint felt like they were back in training, where weapons scattered the room. Steve didn't particularly like how science and military had been brought together like this. By now, it was more military and how science was able to kill. Howard Stark felt at home as he showed off his new experiments. Steve felt as if he was back in the pre-super soldier days.

"Are you making more super soldiers?" Steve asked bluntly.

"Well, I can't perfect Dr. Erskine's formula," Howard conceded, "but I can make my own."

"Perhaps that isn't a good idea." Tony stepped forward as Howard showed off the blue experiment that he had going. "More super soldiers aren't necessary."

"I would agree with that." Bucky walked among the experiments, eyeing the in-work formula, which would eventually turn five more people into super soldiers, creating six of the deadliest assassins on the planet. While Howard Stark had in his mind to create his own deadly assassins, he didn't realize what was yet to come for him. The short answer was death.

Tony glanced at Bucky, not liking the agreement. If Tony could snap Bucky's neck right now, he would. If Tony was able to beat Bucky's face in, like the Winter Soldier would eventually beat Howard's face in, he would. If Tony was able to choke the life out of the Bucky, like the Winter Soldier would eventually do to Maria, he would. "Where is Maria?"

"Off with Daniel," Peggy answered. "He had a job for her."

"She just got back. He shouldn't be sending her out again." Jealousy stuck out in the senior Stark's voice.

"It seemed like she wanted to talk to him more. She seemed to have important information."

"Why didn't she share it with the rest of us?" T'Challa asked.

"She doesn't trust us," Bruce responded in an unaccusing voice. He had been seasonably quiet, eyes on the junior Stark with the whole situation, wondering what crazy idea would pop in Iron Man's mind next. So far, Tony had been silent, which made Bruce Banner concerned. It would only take one thing to make Tony go off on his father. In the room, Tony had grown tense, barely looking at his father, who didn't know-- or care to see-- what was right in front of him.

"I wouldn't take it personally." Howard stuffed his hands back in his pockets. "She has seen a lot in her life. Actually," he laughed, "I'm surprised that she didn't run into you."

"What do you mean?" Sam Wilson wondered.

"Maria-- she's been to the future. Year 2017, she said."

"She's been to the future?" Tony gulped, startled. "She... she knows... everything?"

"I'm not sure about everything, but she is pretty smart and a tough cookie." Howard smiled fondly as he paced in the small lab, which was only meant for one thing. Somewhere in the compound had to be his actual elaborate lab. "She said she met the future, someone named Cole-- Coal-- Coulson-- yeah, Phil she called him. Said he was nice." He clapped his hands. "That's why she is always like 'I'm not going to die today,'" he tried to mimic her. "So, what's the future like? Do we really have an--"

"Howard," Peggy snapped, "we need to focus."

"I would do much better if my wife was here."

"I am here." Maria walked into the room, now changed into the formal and former SSR and eventual SHIELD uniform for women. It was tight, made for fighting. Her shoulders were pulled back, and her back was straight-- she stood at full attention. On either thigh, she had a gun, where she kept a hand on either gun. Her bracelets that turned into swords had been wiped of any blood, gleaming in the light.