Chapter Seventeen

Lined up in a row, the Avengers stood side by side. Bucky stood among them, regaining his balance. None of the Avengers looked ready for another fight, but they had to be. Once entering back into the present world, it was only a question of what they might find. Doctor Strange worked to find the precise moment, so the Avengers would beat Thanos back. Maybe there was a possible way to stop this.

Agent Carter, Agent Fury and Chief Sousa had been in a flurry. Reinforcements were on the way, coming from goodness knows where. Chief Sousa whispered something about the American military, but Agent Carter wasn't impressed with that idea. It seemed like SHIELD had almost been torn down in one day. Agent Carter wasn't going to allow that to happen on her watch, and as Howard Stark hobbled in, leaning on his wife for support, he wasn't allowing that to happen either.

"I almost have the time correct," Doctor Strange informed, hands moving as colorful circles spun like dials.

"Then I guess this is good bye," Howard Stark called, a smile on his face. Limping over, Howard clapped hands with Captain Rogers one last time. "Don't make me come save you in the future."

"Would you do that for me?"

Howard laughed. "Let me know when it's saved. I'll come for a visit."

Maria shook her head. "It was nice to meet you, Captain Rogers."

"You too, ma'am." She smiled broadly at him. These were the pictures he saw of Howard and Maria Stark.

Steve looked over to Peggy, who hovered in the background. He paused.

"Go," Howard urged. "This will be the last time. Say the good farewell."

The captain nodded and hesitantly walked over to Agent Carter.

Lingering, too, was Iron Man, who didn't know how to say good bye to his mother properly, who didn't know how to say it coyly in front of his father, who didn't want to say it in general. There was so much to still learn about her-- about him, even. They never had enough time.

"Come here," Maria commanded.

Tony had lack of choice. He strolled over in his suit with the whiff of fake confidence about him. He tried to hold onto it. "It was nice to meet you both," he lied.

Maria wrapped her arms around her son, holding him tightly. Tears built up in his eyes, and Tony closed them, not wanting his father to see him this way. Even when his father who was a stranger looked at him this way, it didn't feel right. Maria-- his mom-- on the hand, it felt perfect. He didn't want to let go. While he had Pepper and the future to save, all he wanted was to be saved by his mother, like when she showed up to the house party and scolded kids that bullied him, like when she picked him up and bandaged him when he fell down, like when she sang him to sleep as a child when he had nightmares.

"I'll miss you," Maria whispered, "and I can't wait to meet you. I love you, Tony. I hope you always know that. Wherever you are, I am there, cheering you on. Whatever you do, I am there; I'm on your team, always." She kissed his cheek.

"Mom." Tony didn't let go. "What was the lullabye you used to sing to me?"

What song would she sing to him? Maria smiled. "'Somewhere Over the Rainbow.' It's from my favorite picture show."

"Thank you." Tony stepped back. "I hope your lives won't be too boring now that we're leaving now."

"I think we can handle some boringness." Howard's arm curled around his wife. "We have dinner tonight with Obadiah Stane tonight. He wants to join Stark Industries."

"You mean he wants to take it over."

"Over my dead body!" Howard exclaimed.

Eyes glanced over to them, as Doctor Strange stated dryly, "I'm trying to concentrate here." He turned the circles again as visions popped in and out. Standing behind Doctor Strange was Wanda and Vision, as if they were helping him. "We're almost there."

Iron Man sighed. "I guess this is good bye." He turned his back to them.

"Tony!" Howard called.

Tony stopped.

Stumbling over, Howard managed to catch him on the side on Tony's suit, holding himself up barely. Now over here, Howard gulped. "I'm proud of you, son." He clapped him on the back and returned to Maria. "Good luck. Save the universe."

Steve stood beside Tony, urging him closer to the portal as once it was open, it would only stay open for a short time. It was go or stay. Tony needed to go; they all did. Bucky stood beside them too as the portal grew wider and wider, each time Doctor Strange grunted at the new energy.

"Chief Sousa, reinforcements are here!"

The portal was ready to swallow them whole.

In walked a group of soldiers. One in the front greeted Chief Sousa, who was happy to have any reinforcements around. Colonel Phillips sent them over quickly then. The young man in front greeted Howard and Maria Stark next.

"You must be Mr. Stark. I've heard many great things about you, sir." The male shook Howard's hand. "My name is Alexander Pierce."

Steve and Bucky opened their mouths to call out the warning, but the portal swallowed them whole. When they blinked their eyes, they stood in Wakanda again, surrounded by the T'Challa's armies, ready for battles. Across the field waited the Guardians of the Galaxy. Loki and Valkyrie stood among them. Maria Hill and Director Fury-- alive and well-- waited too, with their army from SHIELD. Agent Coulson-- alive and well-- waited with his own team, unhumans and agents of SHIELD. Rhodey and the Halls of Armor stood behind. Along with all the soldiers of the world, this may have been an even fight.

Captain Rogers stepped forward. "Avengers, assemble."