Epilogue

"Where do you think they are now?" Howard asked, staring at the space that once held the Avengers, just a few hours ago. He was taken back to the infirmary, where he told the doctors he was leaving whether or not they liked it. Then Howard went and told Sousa he was leaving, whether or not he liked it. And then he told Maria he was leaving, and she said finally. She spent enough time cooped up here.

"I'm pretty sure they're fighting him," Maria stated, back to wearing a sparkly red dress. Her nails and lips matched as her blonde hair flowed down her shoulder.

Howard wore a tux. "They have all the fun."

Maria fixed his tie.

"Is he coming?"

"Of course, he is." Maria stepped back.

"Are you sure?"

"He misses you."

"I miss him. Don't tell him I said that," Howard added. "You know the Brits. It all goes to their heads."

"I don't think that's what happens." Maria adjusted herself in the dress.

The compound was bright in the night air. Howard had plans, and he wanted to see the stars. Enough of this compound life for him. People were going to continue to try to kill him, to steal his ideas, and Howard was just going to go about his life. What was life without a little danger anyway, eh?

"What do you think about pearls?" he asked.

"They're nice."

"Good. We'll get you pearls. That will make you look a classy lady."

"Are you saying I'm not classy?"

"I know what you do in bed."

"Goodness, you sound like my mother."

The car pulled up to the front of the compound, and a lengthy British man stepped out, wearing a nice suit and a genuine smile. "Hello, Mr. Stark."

"Mr. Jarvis." Howard tried to keep the smile off his face and the happiness out of his voice. "You're late."

Jarvis checked his watch. "Apologies, sir. I do seem to be running behind by fifteen seconds. Won't happen again."

"Good." Howard walked toward the car, but before he got in with Jarvis holding the door open for him, Howard hugged Jarvis. "I missed you, old friend."

"I too, sir, I too."

Howard got into the car.

Walking over, Maria kissed Jarvis on the cheek. "You are looking well. How's Anna?"

"She wonders when you'll be coming over next, ma'am. She said she missed your stories and how outlandish they are. She said you could be a writer."

Maria laughed. "Some of us prefer to live it." She sat down beside her husband in the car, and Jarvis closed the door behind them. It was smokey in the car as Howard lit a cigarette. Jarvis had the best scotch packed into the back, and Howard helped himself to it. Maria preferred to keep her wits about her.

Jarvis got in and started the car. "Where to, Mr. Stark?"

"Ah, what the hell? Let's skip Stane tonight. After all, he can't be more angry than he already is." Howard laughed. "Mr. Jarvis, take us home."

"Right away, sir."

The engine was a soft moan in the dark night as the trees inched in, canopying them from the bright moon, as the roads turned twisted and old. However, Howard knew these roads like the back of his hand; he drove them many times in his life, and he would drive them many more. After all, he at least twenty years left of this road, until the night finally ended.