Chapter Fourteen

When an explosive shook the compound, the rest of the Avengers stood in the battle stances, as if an attack was imminent. On the other hand, Agents Carter and Stark glanced at each other. A siren blared, not like before, but a deep rumble letting them know it was for evacuation purposes. Military, scientists, agents, spies and everyone in between started to move outside in order.

"To try to get us outside to slaughter us?" Clint asked. "It would be easy. We aren't prepared."

Grabbing their chosen weapons, the Avengers, Agent Carter and Agent Stark went down into the main area. Agent Carter ordered for the military personel to turn back and retrieve weapons in case of danger, and they did so. Agent Fury stood at attention, giving orders to the agents underneath him. For being as young as he was, he was put in charge of most things. Agent Stark walked over to him and whispered something in his ear. "Ma'am," he said and went back to giving orders.

"Maria, go find Howard. The rest of you are with me," Agent Carter said.

"She doesn't need to look far," T'Challa replied, eyes on the Hulk as he and three scientists came out into the open.

"Holy shit." Maria's hand was already out, waiting for Mjolnir to come to her.

"Aw," Thor chuckled. "He's with us."

"Yeah, you're not the only one who can do surprises," Scott interjected.

Maria ignored him. Mjolnir came into her hand, and she shifted it between her fingers.

Heavy footsteps slapped the concrete floor as the Hulk stopped in front of group of Avengers. Opening his head in a dramatic fashion, he showed off the glowing yellow Soul Stone. Thor, Vision and Doctor Strange came forward to take a look at the glory of it. On Vision was able to touch it, and he picked it up in his fingers.

Suddenly, the blaring stopped, only to be pick up again as the old blaring again, high pitched and loud, waking a dead man even: the sound of an attack.

"You were right," Agent Carter said.

Strangled screams came from outside.

"If you need a suit, get it now," Chief Sousa said, leaving his cane behind to pick up an automatic weapon. "Thanos is here." He cocked the gun and started to make his way outside. Agent Carter followed behind him.

"We don't have a plan," Steve called with his shield in his hand.

"Don't let him get the Infinity Stone," Iron Man stated.

Wanda looked at Vision, whose pale skin turned red. Howard stopped and stared. "Do all of you turn another color?"

Maria walked over to Bucky and whispered in his ear. On his heel, Bucky turned to Howard Stark. Before the elder Stark was able to protest, Bucky was pulling him out of harm's way and toward the safe rooms of the compound. Maria turned her back on them and walked toward Thanos without hesitation. While Mjolnir vibrated in her hands, she knew she needed it. In most cases, she preferred to do it the original way. When facing an alien god, she had lack of choice.

Dark clouds spread over the sky as Maria emerged. A single lightning bolt came down, striking where she stood. When it shot into the sky again, she as a god again. With Thor on one side and the Hulk on the other, maybe it wasn't as crazy as all of this seemed. Maybe was considered normal in the future? That thought haunted her. Here, as a god, she was able to take down most things; everyone as a god, no wonder Thanos was so powerful and the Infinity Stones so necessary.

Thanos, with his Hydra agents-- and how did Hydra exist still?-- stood in the center of it all. After the first screams, and those were of shock, it was calm and collected. The two sides just stared at each other and waited. Thanos searched each Avenger, now including Maria Stark, to find the Soul Stone. They stared at one another as the rest the Avengers came in their suits, mostly holding the military weapons of the 1960's now. Some adjustments had to be made.