Chapter Sixteen

Maria ran into the compound, taking bounds and leaps over the dead bodies. The thick metal doors were just open a tad, and Maria pushed through them. Skidding to a halt, she glanced around, not seeing Howard lying on the floor dead. It was at least a good sign. Sprinting, pushing her legs as hard as they would go, she dodged people as they yelled at her to slow down. They had their own jobs to do as they made their ways through the hallways: the doctors and nurses saving people, the soldiers ready for another attack, the janitor staff to clean up the mess that always occurred again. Maria moved past them all.

In the hospital corridor, she found Agent Carter waiting outside, giving orders to the people she saw around. Chief Sousa was still out there, but Agent Carter stood guard.

"Good, you're here," Agent Carter stated. "What's the situation?"

Maria was out of breath. "Thanos went back to the future, ma'am. How's Howard?"

"Alive."

They changed places. Agent Carter dashed through the corridors as Maria pushed the door open wide to see Howard lying on the infirmary bed, eyes closed and breathing uneven. The blood hadn't been cleaned off of him, but at least he looked like he stopped bleeding. Maria closed the door silently behind her. Gently, she took his hand in her.

"Did you miss me?" he asked with a smirk.

"Yes." She kissed the back of his hand.

"Did I miss the battle?"

Maria said nothing.

"I know I'm useless."

"You're a good pilot."

"Is that the only reason why you keep me around?"

"You're good at other things too."

"Ah, thanks, doll." His brown eyes opened to find his wife, bloody and bruised. Lifting his hand, he ran his fingers over her face. "Did you kick ass?"

"Thanos got away."

"I asked did you kick ass?"

"I hope so. I mean, if I didn't, it's all your fault. You distracted me."

"I know I'm charming. No need to pay me compliments, even though I like when you do." Howard laughed and immediately regretted it. He grabbed his side in pain. "How's everyone else?"

"Alive, bloody but alive."

"How did Thanos get alive?"

"A monolith."

"Damn. That would've been great to see." He squeezed her hand. "I trust the Avengers can take care of him."

"You trust the Avengers?"

"I trust Steve," Howard sighed. Biting his bottom lip, he hesitated, which Maria obviously noticed. She didn't pry as Howard came to his own terms about what was going on. "Iron Man... who is he?"

Maria flipped her blonde hair back. "I think you already know."

"Please, let me be wrong," Howard called up to the ceiling, slamming his head back on the bed. Black dots danced in his vision.

"You don't like him?"

"It's not that, but he's too much like me. I'm too much like me. It's dangerous, and it's bad. And I was horrible in my youth."

"You're still young at heart," Maria replied.

"I'm young because you keep me young."

"Is that why you married me when I was young?"

"I never understood why you married me."

"Because I love you."

"Why do you love me?" Howard asked.

"I have no idea," Maria admitted. "It's a question I ask myself; it's a question other people ask me. And I would give them a straight answer and a backstory, if I had one. And finally, I do."