Chapter 2

After that night, I was never myself. I didn't sleep for two days as I awaited their return, alone, afraid and grieving. It took me a long time to understand that they wouldn't be coming back but nevertheless I still searched for them around the neighborhood, across the blocks, everywhere in Oakland...nothing. I thought about going to the police but I knew they would put me in a foster home so I didn't go near them.

We had an old safe where we kept all of our valuables. I managed to crack it open using a crowbar I had found, imagine that an 8 year old using a crowbar to open a safe. I would often wake up from sleep confused, still thinking that my family was there. But once reality set in I wished to go back to my dreams to escape my waking nightmare.

The money that we had was meant for 4 people so I was able to sustain myself for about three years. In our neighborhood it wasn't odd to see a kid working. So, when I was 11 I went to the local supermarket to see if they had an opening. They said that I could help out in the back, every night from six to nine I organized cans, fruits, veggies, chocolate etc. I also got an employee discount on food which helped out a lot. I went to the public school a few blocks down and always tried to keep my grades up. I kept to myself for the most part.

The years went by but the memory of that night never faded.

I finished college with a degree in computer science and started working at a cafe with my best friend. It was a temporary stop to make some cash while we searched for jobs to kickstart our careers. Lina had been my anchor throughout college. It was nice to finally be able to trust someone. 

I bought a new apartment on the nicer side of Oakland it was really close to the cafe which was a plus but it was still small. I had saved enough money to have some on the side while I payed my bills. I had no long term plans, I guess I need really developed that skill as my days mostly went day by day. Im still not sure how I managed to save up.

I had no love life what so ever and I wasn't expecting to meet anyone special any time soon but sometimes life has other plans.