Chapter 4

This is Tammy!

This is Tammy!

Sophomore Year

(Cesar) 

When they tell you that freshman year goes by so fast they weren't lying. My Freshman year was full core courses that every student has to take. I am excited to really get started in music. I wouldn't have survived if it wasn't for my friends. I ended up introducing Hannah and Asher to Tyler and Tammy. Tammy, Hannah, and Asher are a dynamic trio and its fun to watch. When you have 3 extroverted people in one room is a lot sometimes but it always keeps it lively. But when I want something a little more relaxed and chill I hang out with Tyler. We would either text or she would come and hang out with me. Sometimes we wouldn't even talk to one another we would just work in the same space. I asked her if she thought it was weird when we do that. She expressed to me that she liked it because its less stressful then trying to figure out how to communicate with one another. 

Then it hit me... Has she been stressed that whole year talking to me?  So for the second half of this year I asked Tammy to teach me ASL so I can communicate with her. Tammy was game and so almost everyday talked with Tammy using ASL. I wanted to keep a secret from her for a bit so I can surprise her. We would even face time over some breaks and weekends that I would be home. During those times I really got to know Tammy really well. I asked her about her learning ASL and how it influenced her relationship with Tyler. She told me that when they first met in high school she was the new kid and she didn't have anyone to talk to. She saw Tyler sitting by herself so she hung around her. She even told me that the way she found out about her being mute was similar to how I found out.

For the first month they really didn't talk much but she would always be by her side. She never argued she just let her be near her. She worked her ass off learning ASL. Like she lived, breathed, and dreamed it. Her parents even know a little because when she would talk with her parents she would do it simultaneously. And to be honest I was so moved. I wanted nothing more than be someone that she can rely on. 

But I am trying to find the right time to surprise her. We all are going to attended her dance performance that a senior in her department choreographed for her senior peace and as a sophomore she made the cut. She was so excited when she found out she made it. 

We are currently watching the performance. I am holding her favorite flowers, which are sunflowers. I am so nervous I just hope I don't mess this up. Tammy notices that I am fidgeting in my seat. She touches my shoulder. "You are going to fine we practiced you can speak ASL well You worked hard." I nod. That's right, I can have complex conversations. I just don't hope I blank when i see her. 

Asher and Hannah actually picked some up because kept using ASL in the dorm. So they understand some of it.

Tyler walks up on stage and gets ready for her performance. As she dances the only thing I can think is that Tyler looks amazing on stage. She has so much stage presence and the emotions really come out when she dances. It's absolutely amazing. She was sharing with me her love for dancing last year. I love how dancing is like her voice. 

She is absolutely inspiring. 

The performance ends and the crowd really enjoyed it. We all stand for her and clap. Tammy, Hannah, and Asher scream her name. We wait around for her to come out from back stage. She runs and attacks Hannah and Tammy. Then she hugs me and Asher. 

"You were amazing, Tyler." Says Asher. She smiles and mouths thank you. She looks at the sunflowers in my hands and points at herself. As if to ask if these where for her. I nod. She smiles from ear to ear and takes the flowers. 

"Thank you." She responds. 

This is it. Don't fuck it up Cesar. 

"You were absolutely amazing tonight. I couldn't take my eyes off of you." 

She gasps and drops her flowers. We all jump. She frantically picks them back up. 

Freaking out, "DID I MESS UP!!?" She covers her mouth and shakes her head. Her eyes look glassy like she is going to cry. 

"No. You said it perfectly. Thank you!" She hugs me super tight. 

I look at Tammy and she is smiling. "Good Job."

 "HOW!? HOW?! WHO TAUGHT!?" She tries to get out. 

"I taught him, He really wanted to you to not stress out about talking to him so he has been studying." Tammy says as she stands next to me. She runs up to us both and gives us a group hug. 

Hannah just sniffs in the corner, " This. Is.SO. CUTE!" Asher just rubs her back and smiles.  

This semester, In one of my classes, I have to sing in a style that is different than what I am used to and on top of that its has to be a collaboration. I usually sing pop/Alternative music so I decided to try something with a little more sensuality to it. I am doing a cover of Daniel Caesar's Best Part, but its a duet. 

The whole gang was in Asher and I's room talking about it, "Why don't you get Melody to do it with you?" Asher offers. 

"No! Don't get melody! She is pain to work with!" Hannah spouts, The four of us just look at her like she were crazy. "She is a bitch."Hannah explains. 

"You can always change the piece." Asher also says. 

"Does it have to be a singer?" asks Tyler. 

"No... It doesn't have to be singer." I reply. 

Asher sits up straight and then pats my shoulder. "You should have dancer accompany you." He looks at Tyler. Tyler's face loses the little color she had in her face. 

Tammy and Hannah Gasps. "OMG THAT WOULD BE AMAZING!" 

"It would be definitely unique." I say. I look at her. She looks at me waiting to say something. 

"Would you be interested, Tyler?" 

 Smiles as she sits next to me, "I would love to."