a beautiful angel stood in his doorway

Chapter 13 - a beautiful angel stood in his doorway

Blake waited, waited until the house settled and he could no longer hear people moving, the servants would be finished with their duties and the house would be quiet. He'd stripped off his coat hours ago in agitation. His shirt was loose and the night was uncommonly hot. He sat on the edge of the bed as the clock struck 3.

He removed his shoes and let his bare feet touch the cold wood floor. He would be less likely to make noise this way. He checked he had his mother's ring in his pocket and was about to make his way to her when he heard the soft turn of the doorknob. Then a quite click shut. He smiled to himself. She had come. The Little minx had beaten him to it.

'I didn't think you would come.' He stayed where he was and heard the rustle of silk skirts move closer. He had yet to look into her face because he knew when he did, there would be no going back. She stood before him and her skirts brushed over his bare feet.

Lizzie dressed in a pretty muslin night gown that was transparent, despite being completely covered, it left little the imagination, she had stood in front of the mirror for nearly half an hour persuading herself to wear it for him, she watched as the dim light of the candles outlined her curves. She grabbed a shawl to cover herself a little as she padded barefoot across the dark hallways. She wanted him, wanted him desperately. She would confront him about what she saw this afternoon. And when he explained that it was nothing, she would have him, forever.

Blake looked at her skirts, he had never seen her wear red before, a colour far too ostentatious for her, he looked up and found not the glowing green eyes he longed to see. But a recognisable dull brown pair.

'I will always come to you, I want you.'

He didn't know what to do. Why was Melissa here? How had he been so stupid, how had he not known? She towered over him as he sat on the edge of his bed.

This was bad.

'Get out' He spat through clenched teeth. 'NOW'

'Shhh now sweetie, I want you. And I know you want me too' she placed her hands on his shoulders and began to run her fingers down his arms. He reacted instantly and grabbed her wrists in a vice like clamp. She smiled as if she enjoyed it. He realised now the gown she wore, was not a gown suitable for a ball room, it was cut low and her breast were barely concealed. The red silk and lace was expensive. She caught him looking and miss understood his action.

'You like the dress? I purchased it with you in mind.'

She sat on his lap and leaned in to kiss him, before he could remove her, his chamber door opened for a second time tonight. He turned to see a beautiful angel stood in his doorway.

This had to be a dream. A bizarre and crazy nightmare, Because the angle clad in hip hugging white muslin was the woman he dreamed of every night, yet the devil clung to him. She stood motionless clutching one hand to her heart, and the other to the door frame. Her eyes wide in shock

'Elizabeth'

His voice was horse at seeing her, she was more beautiful than ever. Her hair tumbled around her breasts, her nipples peeked out from the thin material covering them...He turned and realised what she was seeing, a half-naked woman, who he had once been betrothed to, sprawled across his lap and clasped in his arms, on his bed, in the middle of the night.

Good god no.

He threw Melissa off him and stood with his arms at his side as if trying not to frighten her off.