He gave her one last smile.

Chapter 19 - He gave her one last smile

Elizabeth sat in the newly decorated nursery she had fitted out in the last couple days. It had kept her extremely busy. It was her way of telling her husband he was to be a father.

She had brightened up the dull walls and purchased new furniture for the babe. A beautifully carved cradle swamped in soft cream baby blankets sat in the middle of the room. She had fallen in love with it when she saw it. Matching furniture for the baby's things lined the walls along with a few other pieces, a new teddy bear sat in the corner of the crib and the shelves were littered with toys. Some which she had salvaged, that had once belonged to her husband. Others she had bought brand new.

The smell of polish and paint was still strong in the air. She had been doing up the nursery each day while Blake was out, and she was going to surprise him when this whole thing was over. Now she sat in the nursing chair next to the crib wondering how she had been so stupid. She was being held hostage in her own home, by a woman who had lost her mind.

She watched her pace the room tutting disapproval at Lizzie's hard work.

'What horrid taste you have, he will hate it. It's not nearly grand enough' She watched her pick up the bear from the crib and carelessly drop it back in after it didn't meet her standards.

Lizzie wasn't sure how long they had been sat in here, but her husband would be back soon if he was not already and he would realise she was missing. She was not sure how this was going to end. Melissa stood looking out the window into the darkness, her thumb gliding up and down the jewel incrusted handle of the blade as if it was a comforting motion.

She could make it to the door if she ran, but what if she didn't and ended up with a knife in her back. She could not risk it. There was only one way in and out of this room, why Melissa had chosen this room she didn't know. But she had learnt that she was a dramatic woman, this must be her chosen stage.

Melissa looked over to her with a small smile, then she heard why.

Blake, Calling her name. Her heart beat faster in her chest and blood swirled in her head. Her ears were ringing, Whatever this woman had planned was going to happen very soon.

'He's home. At last'

With one bony finger she sent the vase full of red roses that sat on the side crashing to the ground and made her way over to where she sat.

He turned the door knob and the door swung freely into the room. He hadn't even thought to step foot into this room and what he found touched his heart.

It smelled of paint and oak. He stepped inside and a coldness crept into him. He took in the room, beautiful pieces of furniture, toys and a crib. And his beautiful wife sat teary eyed in a chair on the opposite corner of the room, her hands bound together in her lap.

'Liza? Are you okay?'

She nodded and he stepped through the door when he noticed the figure stood behind his wife, and the glinting of the blade threatening her Precious neck.

His mind was swamped with new information. The nursery, the rattle and blanket in her drawer... he was going to be a father.

He wanted to hold his wife and celebrate. Why hadn't she told him? He had so many questions, all that would have to wait.

'Hello, my love.' Melissa spoke to him, he didn't want to antagonise her but he could not allow her to get away with this.

'Melissa' his eyes flicked between the terrified face of his wife, the evil face of the she devil, and the tip of the blade.