First she had to decide

Chapter 16 - first she had to decide

The next weeks passed idly by in a bubble of complete and total merriment. Lizzie would ride a lot, and in whatever she chose to wear. Blake insisted she borrow some of his clothes if she would prefer, and on regular occasions she did.

Misty came with her to their new home, and Blake had fitted her out a whole new stable filled with excellent horseflesh as Part of a wedding gift.

One autumn afternoon she returned from visiting the local town. She liked to visit weekly and talk to the locals, she was sure she could remember almost everyone's name. They would wave and tell her eagerly about their family when she would enquire as to their health. But the wind had picked up and the sky began to grow darker earlier each day.

When she returned she took Misty to the stable and entered her home through a side door, she made it as far as the foyer when she felt the uncomfortable feeling of being watched. She had become increasingly aware of this disturbing stillness which had snuck up on her several times. She looked at the portraits that lined the walls, she was imagining things.

She made her way upstairs to change before her husband found her dirty and smelling of horse. Upon entering her room, laying on the bed was a small box. Black with a pale, lemon yellow ribbon tied in a perfect bow. A gift from Blake perhaps? She pulled one end of the ribbon and it fell away gracefully. She lifted the lid and what lay within surprised her beyond words. A silver rattle lay shining in the last of the daylight. Not from her husband then.

It had to be from her sister, she is the only other person who knew about her secret. But why would she not leave a note? No, surly her sister wouldn't risk exposing her news in such a way. When she had written in return to her news her sister had promised to keep it to herself until the news was known.

Her hand instantly dropped protectively to her tummy. Mary threw the door open unaware Lizzie was in the room.

'Ah Mary, wonderful I was just about to send for you, do you know who sent this gift?'

Mary looked puzzled. 'Gift, My Lady?'

Lizzie sealed the lid in place and lifted the box with the yellow ribbon dripping off it.

'yes this one, it was on the bed. I assume you brought it up?'

Mary shook her head 'sorry ma'am, it was not me that brought that up for ya. Perhaps your lovely Husband left it for ya?'

'I'm afraid it is not from my lovely husband this time.'

Mary frowned. 'I'm sorry, I don't know 'ow it got there.'

'No matter, I need to bathe and change, could you get some hot water please?'

'yes, my Lady.'

'Please Mary, please don't call me that. I rather liked it when I was Miss Elizabeth.'

'I can't be callin you that now ma'am. You are a Lady now, a countess! an rightly should be called so.'

'And you are a lady's maid now. Thank you for coming with me. I would feel a little lost without some friendly faces.'

'It's me that should be givin ya fanks, I never fought I would make it to lady's maid. Now, I will be gettin you the tub and some hot water sharpish.' She headed toward the door and Lizzie was alone once more. She looked at the beautiful, expensive, gift in her hands and the feeling of unease washed over her once more. No one except two knew of her pregnancy. One being herself, the other her sister, she would write to her sister and enquire about the gift.